L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Screensaver

Please report software faults here.

Screensaver

Postby fafhrd » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Probably winblows related, but as not all programs do this, it may be preventable. As large jobs take forever, I usually set them up before bed. As soon as windows blanks the monitor (I dont really use screensavers), the job will pause and wait till I wiggle the mouse again. Shouldn't it be able to continually run without focus?
fafhrd

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi fafhrd,

Oh, I hadn't noticed that before. I'll check it out tonight. Can anyone else confirm/deny whether powersave/screensavers halt calculations on their systems?

Anyway, L3DT certainly should continue to run without focus, and for example you can run calculations when the app is minimised. I've successfully run lots of calcs overnight with powersave on, but probably not in the last few weeks, so there's a chance I've messed something up recently (doubt it, but...).

Anyway, in the mean-time I would suggest disabling powersave and phyisicially turning off the monitor when starting overnight runs until we've worked out what's going on.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:54 pm

FYI:

I have found that just about any 3D App will cause screen savers to go belly up when rendering stuff. In fact some of them can crash ones computer pretty good. I always take screen savers and power down setting and turn them all off when I render. If I must I turn my monitor off and then go to bed. Much safer that way in my humble opinion.
DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Bug reports