L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Alpha map export and water maps

Please report software faults here.

Alpha map export and water maps

Postby Longbeer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:15 am

Hi Arron,

a couple of bugs to report, neither showstoppers (I hope). When I try to export alpha maps as pngs I get the following in the log:

CMosaicMap::LoadSubMap error
- call to format-specific LoadSubMap failed for file 'C:\Documents and Settings\lpullman\My Documents\test\working7\Alpha_1\working7_Alpha_1_x5y0.png'

CMosaicMap::ExportMosaic error
- call to LoadSubMap failed

CMapWrap::ExportMosaic error:
- call to CMosaicMap::ExportMosaic failed

calc_TX_GenSplatAlphaMaps error
- Failed to export mosaic

The file referenced exists, is all black and 1kb - but it's not the only one and is in the middle of water. If I save the mosaic as DDS or TGA I don't get the error.

I can import the resulting mosaic but it looks like none of the alpha2 textures are mapped (this probably has more to do with the Multiverse world editor than L3DT)

The second issue is with a thread not terminating during a calculation run. By trial and error I think it's the water mapping. It doesn't happen all the time but occassionally I'm left with L3DT still using 90%+ clock cycles after the batch has finished and I have the finished map. If I quit L3DT the process remains in the Task Manager using as much CPU time as it can get.

It seems (meaning this is totaly subjective) that this happens more with bigger maps and as I'm working with 512 pixel tiles I guess it could be related to the MS thread tracking issue.

I can work around both issues :)

Laurie
Longbeer

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Longbeer,

Thanks for the bug report. I think I've found the problem in the alpha map export (actually a bug in one of the mosaic map export functions). I'll include the fix in the next developmental build.

As for the hung calculation problem; I've seen this occasionally myself, but I've never found a way to reliably reproduce the fault. I'll try to track it down for the next dev build, and I'll post back here once it's ready for testing.

I can import the resulting mosaic but it looks like none of the alpha2 textures are mapped (this probably has more to do with the Multiverse world editor than L3DT)

Hmm...not sure. The output files look OK to me, so it may be that Multiverse doesn't support more than 4 blend layers. I don't know the platform well enough to comment on that. Anyone?

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Longbeer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 am

Hi Aaron,

now that I've actually had enough sleep, I've confirmed the problem is my file: I can no longer generate a valid Alpha2. This happenned after a long session of hand editing, if that helps any as it seems you know the source of the bug.

I've run a new calc from the original DM and can export valid alphas. Oh well, I wasn't happy with the placement of the roads anyway...

FYI: Multiverse supports 8 blend layers, with more promised. I'm sure someone will let you know when this happens ;-)

I've successfully imported several landscapes over the last month or so (I'll send some pics when we get something worth seeing - the mountain pass section is getting there). Looks pretty cool at 1m per pixel using your textures. The multiverse asset importer even reads .mmf files as an option :-)

Thanks yet again,

Laurie
Longbeer

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi Laurie,

I've uploaded a new dev build of L3DT Pro that should fix the alpha map problem(s). I've also added a rudimentary RGBA map editor interface to L3DT, which may be of some use (see here).

I've not yet properly fixed the 'hung thread' bug, but I do know why and where it's occurring, and I've made a few changes to make it less frequent. However, I have to do a bit more thinkering to work out the proper, side-effect-free fix for this problem.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports