L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Some Textures are not powers of 2.

Please report software faults here.

Some Textures are not powers of 2.

Postby scotti6666 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:58 pm

Some of the textures are not a power of 2 in their height and width. most I've seen are 256 but a few are some strange h/w.

The work around is that I pull the ones that are strange into photoshop and fix them. I wish I knew where they were stored in L3DT then I could fix them for good.

This is a problem with the atlas exporter in that atlas requires h/w be pow2.
scotti6666

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:45 am

Hi Scotti6666,

The textures are stored under the following directories:

Win Vista

Code: Select all
c:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\Resources\Climates

Win XP/2k

c:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\Resources\Climates

Linux + WINE

\home\[user name]\.wine\drive_c\windows\profiles\[user name]\Application Data\Bundysoft\L3DT [version]\Resources\Climates

Regarding your assertion:

This is a problem with the atlas exporter in that atlas requires h/w be pow2.

Could you please describe the error in a little more detail? Are there any errors in L3DT's event log, or in TGEA's 'console.log' file? Which Atlas exporter are you using? Are you using the blended or unique texture profile? What are the sizes of your heightfield and texture (for unique) or alpha map (for blended)?

For the unique texture profile, Atlas does indeed require power of two texture, but that's not at all related to the dimensions of the base texture images, but rather the dimensions of the heightfield and the texture resolution ratio. As for the blended profile, older hardware does require the base textures to be powers of two, but modern hardware does not, and nor does Atlas. I've successfully made blended terrain using the non-power-of-two textures included with L3DT; these, for example:

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby scotti6666 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 am

I was following the walkthrough on exporting terrains for the atlas2 exporter. The only thing I didn't do was break up the bitmaps into mosaics.

Heightfield size 512x512
HF/DM ratio 64 ( 8x8 )
climate Temperate

Make high-res attributes map AM/HF ratio 4
tn/hf 4
lm/hf 4
tx/hf 4
High-res alpha maps. Res ratio 4

Exported to tgea 1.7.1.

When the altlas map loads and it gets to layer_3.jpg in the layered textures directory it throws.
GBitmap::GBitmap: in order to extrude miplevels, bitmap w/h must be pow2.

layer_3.jpg h/w is 228x228. I fix this error by changing it to 256x256.

this at least fixes this problem. I still have the issue that I can see some of the textures because of another bug I wrote about in another post.
scotti6666

Return to Bug reports