L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

ZeoScript Requests

It doesn't hurt to ask...

ZeoScript Requests

Postby David Walters » Fri May 01, 2009 1:35 pm

From dabbling with ZeoScript a bit I thought I'd share a few simple things that could be changed to make life easier (IMHO):

* Add a new type of buffer.SetValue that accepts a literal (variant?) rather than a varref (or aswell as if it supports polymorphism). Using a variable to store a value was a little bit clunky when you've got a table to build -- but it isn't too bad when you can cut and paste :)
Code: Select all
set value 0
assert <zs:buffer.SetValue array_var index value >

* Expand assert messages to always include the line number of the script that triggered it. As in the example above if you're filling in an array and each set value call is wrapped in an assert - you typically don't have meaningful extra information, but you'd still like to know which line was bugged when currently all you get is an empty message box come up.

* Sort the tree nodes in the function browser. I must stress I found this browser very helpful, but looking for things (like when I tried to hunt down a 'random' function) would be a lot quicker with the alphabet to assist me. Plus you have used a strong naming convention throughout this app and sorting would really show it off!

* Auto-save when clicking 'Run', in case of a crash/lock and just to make it a tiny bit more like Visual Studio for me :)
David Walters
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Sun May 03, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi David,

Thanks again for your feedback.
  1. I've added 'buffer.SetValue2', which takes a variant argument for the value (inc. literals). Polymorphism isn't supported, thus the '2'.
  2. I've added line numbers to the assert messages.
  3. I've added alpha-sorting the function tree to the to-do list. I probably should also add a 'search' option.
  4. I've added an option in the script editor menu to make the editor auto-save when 'run' is clicked.

These updates will be included in the next developmental build. I'll post back here when it's ready.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon May 04, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi David,

I've included your suggestions - barring the alpha sort in the function browser, which is still to do - in the latest update to L3DT Pro, which is v2.7 build 10. Please let me know if you find any problems.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Hello again,

I've implemented alpha sorting in the function list for the next developmental build. I'll post back here when it's available.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby David Walters » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Hey, nice one. Should make it a lot easier to find things.
David Walters
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:46 am

Hi David,

The updated plugin is included with the installer for L3DT Pro v2.7 build 29, which is on the downloads page now.

David Walters wrote:Should make it a lot easier to find things.

It's better, but I think it is still pretty hard to find the function you want due to the plethora of functions and namespaces added by plugins. For the next major release (v3.0), I intend to rename functions and namespaces to be more systematically consistent and logically organised.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests