L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Custom mosaic layouts

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Custom mosaic layouts

Postby Hypnotron » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:12 am

Hello,

I would like to see an option whereby we can specify the mosaic height/width (say in forced powers of 2).

So if we have a 1024x1024 map and we want to hav 2x2 mosaic of 512x512 each then we can. This would help me since what I do is take a very huge l3dt terrain and then i chop it up into many smaller sections that I can then page from disk. Right now I just process the heightfield and texturemaps (and alterntatively the alphamaps) by cutting them up and saving them out individually but being able to do this in l3dt would be nice.

Even better, if we can then tweak each mosaic seperately (perhaps restricting /protecting the edges for the sake of preventing gaps/seems) and perhaps do things like changing the climates in one part yet having the edges blend off into the neihboring type still so once again, no abrupt transitions in the terrain attributes.

Anyway, just a thought :)
-Mike
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:49 am

Hi Mike,

I'm pretty sure most of what you are asking is already included in L3DT. Then again, I have only had one cup of coffee this morning, so maybe I've missed something.

I would like to see an option whereby we can specify the mosaic height/width (say in forced powers of 2). So if we have a 1024x1024 map and we want to hav 2x2 mosaic of 512x512 each then we can.

I'm not sure I understand; what is stopping you from doing this now? Wherever you create a mosaic map (eg. the design map size wizard) you set the map size and tile size, ergo the mosaic size is also set.

Right now I just process the heightfield and texturemaps (and alterntatively the alphamaps) by cutting them up and saving them out individually but being able to do this in l3dt would be nice.

L3DT does this, and has done for years. It's usually that 'use disk-paging (mosaic maps)' option in the wizards. You can also mosaic-ify (not a real word) a map using the 'Options->Active map->Split into mosaic' option.

...perhaps restricting /protecting the edges for the sake of preventing gaps/seems.

Are you referring to seams between the edges of tiles? If so, use the 'Operations->Active map->Duplicate tile borders' option.

...and perhaps do things like changing the climates in one part yet having the edges blend off into the neihboring type still so once again, no abrupt transitions in the terrain attributes.

Yup, you can do that too. Use the design-map pencil to paint different climates in different areas.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Hypnotron » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:57 pm

OMG. I cant believe i thought that 512x512 was the lower limit.

Although so far on first try, theres' a serious bug which ill post in the proper forum.

-Mike
Hypnotron
Contributing member

Return to Feature requests