L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Sea / Rain Water erosion

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Sea / Rain Water erosion

Postby Crowe2Extreme » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:04 pm

So far, i would like to mention that L3DT is a very advanced Tool. But for me, as a creator of fictional battlefields, it would be great to see some of the following functions in the future.

My Islands are looking very unrealistic because the terrain generator does not consider sea current. It would be great if the terrain generator could consider this aspect and make my island look like a sea-shaped island, which was formed for thousands of years.

I don't know if there is already a working plugin for that, but i would like to have rivers and lakes on my island, which start at a source somewhere in the mountains, grow, become bigger, flow together, sperate, form lakes depending on the highfield and surounding terrain ...

All rivers end in the sea, where they form a delta.

I hope you can implement these two functions, because that would be fantastic.

Regards

Crowe
Crowe2Extreme

Postby Aaron » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:53 am

Hi Crowe2Extreme,

Thanks for the suggestions. Lakes are supported already (since v2.0, six years ago*), and rivers are experimentally supported (though this is tricky to use, to say the least, and more work is required on my part).

As for coastal erosion; I'll add this to the developmental plan, but it may take some time to prioritise. In the mean time, I suggest you make liberal use of the cliffs/terraces effect near coastlines, as this can do a reasonable job of approximating coastal cliffs and beaches.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

* That statement makes me feel old, for some reason.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Crowe2Extreme » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47 am

I am looking forward to use your solution soon :)
Crowe2Extreme

Postby nicethugbert » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes, please, rivers would be awesome! Currents too, after all they are like rivers. No?
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 am

Hi Guys,

Before this thread raises anyone's expectations higher than is reasonable, I should mention that that I have absolutely no intention to build any sort of 3D flow modelling engine for calculating river or ocean currents. I have neither the relevant scientific background nor the time (nor the skill, I suspect) to engineer something so complex, and I'm fairly sure that if you had the budget and the compute power to run computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models, you'd probably be doing so already, and therefore wouldn't need my humble program. License fees for packages for CDF are of the order that, as they say, if you have to ask, you can't afford.

What I do intend to do is improve the surface flow modelling in the rain plugin, and possibly add coastal erosion by using a modified thermal erosion routine. Neither of these options require the sort of insane complexity required for true 3-dimensional flow modelling. Even so, these calculations will still be really complex, difficult to use and slow. Such is the nature of the beast.

Here endeth the rant. I hope that clears the waters, so to speak.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests