L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

file paths

It doesn't hurt to ask...

file paths

Postby Chett » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:48 am

When you first download the default file path puts a lot of stuff on your boot drive, reguardless of where you installed the tool. Now I realize you can change the path and move things but a lot of people dont much like things on the boot drive (I sure don't) and I have a bare minimum of storage space available there. It would be much better if the default setting was located with the program installation.
Chett
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:46 am

Hi Chett,

As I'm sure you're aware, the user access control system in Vista and Windows 7 prevents L3DT from writing any data to the 'Program Files' folder (L3DT does not run with admin. privileges.) Thus, for most installations, L3DT cannot write into its own installation directory. Hence, L3DT does not store any volatile resources (textures, climates, scripts, etc) within its installation directory, because it would never be able to change them. I'm doing what Microsoft recommends by storing the documents and settings under the user profile. If you want to save space on your system volume, you should move your user profile to another volume.

If you find that distasteful, you can relocate the L3DT resources folder. Simply copy the 'resources' directory that's within the L3DT folder in your Windows profile directory to wherever you want the resources to go. Then, in L3DT, select the 'Settings->File paths' menu option. In this window, change the 'L3DT->Resources' directory to point to your new resources folder. Whilst you're at it, you may also wish to redirect L3DT's temporary working folder to somewhere on another volume (it's the 'L3DT->TempDir' path.) Once you've made these changes, you may then close L3DT, and delete the old resources folder.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Chett » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:25 am

Ah yes good old MS, forgot the newer versions were pushing that. My Bad. I did indeed move things, just had to beat on my system a bit to get past the first install. Thanks
Chett
Contributing member

Return to Feature requests