L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Over Hangs and plugins

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Over Hangs and plugins

Postby bishka » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Would it be possible to add the ability to make over hangs?

Also, upto getting L3DT I made all my hight maps in Paint Shop Pro (I know it's only 8bit), some of the Photoshop plugins, thought not intended for making hightmaps, were vere usfull. So I wounderd if it might be possible to add support for them? Even if some plugins won't work in 16bit, some do and the 8bit steps if not realistic can be effective.

Regards Bishka
bishka

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:50 am

Hi Bishka,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your requests.

Heightfields can only store one height value for each x/y coordinate. Overhangs have at least three height values per x/y coordinate. This means that to support overhangs, L3DT would have to abandon heightfields and instead represent terrain as freeform mesh objects. This would require a major rewrite of the application, and I have no plans to do this just yet.

L3DT uses a different plugin system than PSP, so plugins for PSP will not automagically work with L3DT (and vice-versa). However, if a plugin developer was so inclined, they could write a plugin for L3DT to load PSP plugins and act as a translation layer for function calls between L3DT and the PSP plugin. It's technically feasible, but it's also likely to be a lot of work. If you can program C++, then L3DT's plugin API is available here, and if you can't, then I wish you the best of luck in finding someone willing to do the work for you.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby bishka » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, I thought there would be some sort of problem like that with the over hangs but I thought I would ask. It is just that I use Cinema4D and, aside from normal Y axis displacement you can use red for X, blue for Z and green for Y axis displacements.

As for Programing my plugi...the most I've ever done is the classic 'hello world' in coffee

But anyway, Thanks for a realy useful progame.
Regards Bishka
bishka

Return to Feature requests