L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Error Reporting

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Error Reporting

Postby nicethugbert » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:41 am

Some basic error reporting facility would be helpful. Just the ability to copy the error text so we can post it here would be just great.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 am

Hi nicethugbert,

As with any Windows text box, you can right-click to open a popup menu with 'Select all' and 'Copy' options. Nevertheless, to save you three mouse clicks I've added a 'copy' button to the event log in the next build. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:27 pm

I did not know this. I tried to highlight for a copy and failed so I assumed it was not possible to copy. Had I known this, I would not have asked. But, I guess few ppl know, so a copy button would probably be appreciated anyway. Thx, Aaron.

EDIT: Got the error again and tried right click but no menu came up.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:16 am

Hi Nicethugbert,

EDIT: Got the error again and tried right click but no menu came up.

Ah, I'm guessing it's the 'insufficient memory' message, no? This is posted in a modal Windows MessageBox, which does not allow copying of text. I've modified that error handler to also post the text to the L3DT event log, where you will be able to select the text and copy. This change is included in the latest developmental build of L3DT (v2.8 build 18), which is on the downloads page now. This update also includes the 'copy' button on the event log window, and furthermore improves the 'insufficient memory' error message by properly reporting the process' working set size, available virtual memory, plus the system's total commit and physical memory.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests