L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Grid Display

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Grid Display

Postby David Walters » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi, would it be possible to add an option to display a custom grid over the maps at a regular spacing per metre? - a point grid like the one used on the design map would be great.

This feature would specifically help me at the moment because my maps are cut every 128m with a constant water height assigned to each chunk. I'm hoping to make it easy to visually detect whether two bodies of water of different heights are attempting to co-exist within the same chunk.

It should also help with counting chunks for additional debugging in the future, and potentially help with reinforcing a sense of scale when designing a map.

Regards
David Walters
Doyen

Postby nicethugbert » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm

I like this idea.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Sat May 01, 2010 9:54 am

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put this on the to-do list for the developmental builds following release 2.9. It should be one of the first cabs off the rank.

Hmm...mayhap I'll also have the grid render in Sapphire too; that could be nifty.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 pm

There is a grid plugin for GIMP. I make one in GIMP then set it as the image drape. For some reason it doesn't work so well in the height map, but, otherwise it works fine on the texture map. My grids have to be custom because I'm making areas for NWN2 which has it's peculiarities.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Return to Feature requests