L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Randomization in DM Brush

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Randomization in DM Brush

Postby nicethugbert » Sun May 02, 2010 2:46 pm

It would be useful to have a randomization feature with a range setting in the DM Brush in addition to relative and absolute.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Nicethugbert,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you want randomisation of all DM parameters (except climate & spec. type/params), or just altitude? [bearing in mind that random altitude variation is already supported using the peak noise parameter]

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 am

The problem I have in mind is where I want to have two different terrains on a map, like a border region, but, the map is too small for L3DT to give me that. I have to go with the smaller map, and other parameters for the sake of satisfying NWN2 limitations, game play, etc.

So, I set L3DT to get me a nice map in terms of other criteria. Then I go to the design map and brush into specific sections settings that are known to give me the desired terrain. But, the regions are all uniform now instead of having the variations it would have had if L3DT had done it.

So, If I can brush in randomization then I expect it'll look "normal".

Arid vs. humid and plateau vs. depression on the same map are examples of what I want to achieve.

Let's say I have two bowl shaped depressions separated by a line of ellevation and I want to raise one bowl higher that the other. I want the lower bowl to be desert and the upper bowl not desert. What would I do without having to handle this one DM square at a time?

Such things exist in nature but on a scale much more vast than is feasible in a game. But, the players will be highly unlikely to know or care that the two regions change too drastically is the space of a kilometer or three. Even if I simulated four different levels of moisture in 400 meter increments it would be realistic to the vast majority of players but not actually realistic at all.

Or, maybe there are scaling tricks I can use? If increase the horizontal scaling to get more terrain types in one map, I lose the needed height.

EDIT 0: Just wanted to add that I'm working in 240 meter increments with a 160 meter border. At 1120x1120 meters I'm getting ~420 meter altitude difference with max avg. alt., max steepness, and max vast and the map imparts a sense of vastness.

With a 1600x1600 meter map, you may as well say you are in the Himalayas.

EDIT 1: Hmm, I could just use 50% Erosion, Cliffs, and Lakes. Then I could brush on relative changes of those over a region to get my humidity setting. That still leaves the bowl depth and height problem.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 am

Hi nicethugbert,

But, the regions are all uniform now instead of having the variations it would have had if L3DT had done it.

Can you please post a screenshot of the heightfield in 3D?

I've designed plenty of terrain by hand, from a blank design map, and I don't find L3DT producing bland uniform terrain, unless I deliberately make it so. Did you remember to set the peak and fractal noise channels on the design map? How about erosion and cliffs / terracing?

Arid vs. humid

Climate variation within the map? This has to be painted by hand using the design map brush. It's not the sort of thing that should be automated, in my opinion. Too much variation in user expectation.

and plateau vs. depression

That's the terracing / cliffs channel, again.

It may also help to set a small relative altitude value in the design map brush to raise up your plateau (if positive) and lower your depression (if negative). This is how I built the fjord terrain from a completely blank design map.

I want the lower bowl to be desert and the upper bowl not desert. What would I do without having to handle this one DM square at a time?

Increase the brush radius?

EDIT 1: Hmm, I could just use 50% Erosion, Cliffs, and Lakes.

Don't use design map 'lakes' unless you really mean it. Does your game engine support multiple water bodies at different heights? Few do.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Tue May 04, 2010 4:36 pm

I misspoke. I have not made such maps because my attempts at brushing are horrible failures. Also, I failed to mention that when I envision raising a depression, I also want to make it shallower.

But, I see now that to make depressions shallower while maintaining the height of the rim I'll have to set a brush to a narrow radius and a relative height increase. Then keep expanding the radius but maintain the same brush epicenter. But that assumes the depression is round.

When I said I could just use 50% Erosion, Cliffs, and Lakes I was thinking of the design map parameters. I would use them as a base line then brush relative values to get arid and non-arid areas on the same map.

I'll add that I use extremely low values of Noise Strength and Noise Shape because the path finding algorithm in NWN2 gets confused and slows down easily. I'll go down as low as like 8% and 0% respectively.

A quick question, which parameters are related to height? I fear that if I mess with heights then I am contradicting L3DT's algorithms.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi nicethugbert,

nicethugbert wrote:A quick question, which parameters are related to height? I fear that if I mess with heights then I am contradicting L3DT's algorithms.

No, please feel free to mess with heights. L3DT won't get upset*.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

* Exception: when using the 'Operations->Design map->Modify parameters' option, you will not be allowed to change the average altitude, altitude range or feature scale. You can however change the height values using the brush tools at any time.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests