L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Radiosity Normal/Light Mapping

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Radiosity Normal/Light Mapping

Postby Joshua » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:28 pm

Yes, I know that I make a lot of sometimes ridiculous demands on L3DT, but the truth is that this is fast becoming the leading (in terms of quality if not yet amount of users) solution for terrain for real-time applications and I think I have a feature to add to the "wow" list.

http://www2.ati.com/developer/gdc/D3DTu ... hading.pdf

This article describes a technique that basically generates lightmaps of whose texels do not store the whole (cosine weighted) integral of incoming light, but three separate values, or the incoming light projected onto x/y/z. This must be done in tangent space.

The three lightmaps can be stored in separate textures or in separate channels of a single lightmap (without colored lightmaps).

It sounds a bit more confusing than it is, but the results are pretty impressive, and if L3DT goes on to support MegaNormalMaps (take that Carmack, I just coined a term!), for our textures, this would be a way to integrate that detail to our high resolution lightmaps as well.

Even the leading lightmapper, Giles does not support this functionality, so I would love to see L3DT one-up them, as well as use this feature in our own projects.

Even in it's suggested form, I wouldn't expect to come about in any near patch necessarily, but it's good to have solid, marketable, usable, and professional features (as L3DT has a great habit of doing) on that TODO list.
:D
Joshua
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:08 am

Hi Joshua,

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. I don't think I can add radiosity mapping any time soon, but I've put it on the unscheduled features 'to-do' list so that I don't forget about it.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:04 pm

Much appreciated. :wink:
Joshua
Luminary

Return to Feature requests