L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Slope Levelizer

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Slope Levelizer

Postby stormridersp » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:40 pm

It would be great to have a slope levelizer.

The problem with slopes is that no matter what tool you use, you can only scratch the surface of the heightmap, which means that whatever change you do, your actually destroying how the terrain looks, for example: a river.

I am suggesting a tool which doesnt modifiy the surface, but modify the height underneath the surface.

My case: I´m creating a Arma2 map, Helmand Province. Helmand has a difference of almost 200m in altitude from its northeast corner to its southwest edge. Running down this slope, there´s a river called Helmand River. Arma2 does not support river, but it supports water at sea level. If my map could be levelized: to be flatened whitout loosing all its surface features, I could easily simulate the river at sealevel.
stormridersp

Postby stormridersp » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 pm

bump
stormridersp

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Stormridersp,

I apologise for my slow reply, and thank you for your request. I've added this to the dev plan.

If you're in a great hurry for this option I can bash together a script for you to achieve this, but it will be quite slow to run. If there's no great hurry, I'll build this in a plugin (which will be faster) and include it in the next dev build. Please let me know which option you'd prefer.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby stormridersp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Aaron, thank you for your reply, I'm sorry if I seemed in a hurry and ofcourse, thank you for offering the script, but I can tell you that I can wait for the next dev build, no problem about that, I'm not in a hurry.

Best Regards,
StormRider
stormridersp

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks Stormridersp,

I'll post back here when the feature is availabe.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby M1013828 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Agreed this would be a great feature.
Arma2 does not model rivers. only pond objects and the sea, so to create rivers. we dig down below sealevel, using realworld data, the rivers obviously climb in altitude, so clearly a slope leveliser would be an awesome tool to allow the use of rivers in arma2 maps,

(ive had to make the decision to ignore water ways in my maps.)
M1013828

Return to Feature requests