L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

improved 2d brushes

It doesn't hurt to ask...

improved 2d brushes

Postby M1013828 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Another suggestion,

Im using a 24k X 24k attributes map,
Ive exported it, in tiles, which took a while to stich back together, with the intention of manually drawing the different crop fields before reimporting back into l3dt,

L3dt crashes immediately, (32bit error i think) (ive recently upgraded to 12gig) when i try to import the file back.
I cant use the 3d attributed editor either, that crashes pretty quick also as it trys to generate an attrib map.

So without any other options. a few extra paint brush tools, (line drawer and paint bucket in particular) would be magnificent and time saving

Bring on the 64bit L3DT! (and or the freeimage library you use)
M1013828

Re: improved 2d brushes

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am

Hi M1013828,

Thanks for the suggestions. Floodfill should be a no-brainer to implement, whilst a line-drawing mode will require a few extra changes to L3DT and Sapphire. These are now on the dev plan.

M1013828 wrote:...reimporting back into l3dt, L3dt crashes immediately, (32bit error i think) (ive recently upgraded to 12gig) when i try to import the file back.

What file format are you loading?

Importing attributes maps from images is particularly fraught with danger; every pixel in the attributes map image must exactly match with a colour assigned to one of the land types in one of the climates loaded in the map project. If the colour of a pixel is off by one bit (e.g. due to JPEG compression, or smoothed brush tools), the image can't be loaded.

M1013828 wrote:I cant use the 3d attributed editor either, that crashes pretty quick also as it trys to generate an attrib map.

Can you please send me the log file after this happens? I would be most interested in fixing this issue. Come to think of it, I did fix a bug relating to the AM colour map generator recently. Have you tried using the latest dev build of L3DT Pro? (v2.9 build 3, on the downloads page now)

M1013828 wrote:So without any other options. a few extra paint brush tools, (line drawer and paint bucket in particular) would be magnificent and time saving

Agreed.

M1013828 wrote:Bring on the 64bit L3DT! (and or the freeimage library you use)

Indeed. However, I would caution against any high expectations that the the 64 bit build will be any sort of drastic improvement. As far as I can tell, using a 64 bit memory space will only partially fix one bug (insufficient contiguous memory). I say partially because eventually, with large enough maps, you will still run out of contiguous memory with a 64 bit machine. The proper fix for this bug is to use non-contiguous memory, which L3DT v2.9 build 3 now does automatically, and previous versions of L3DT did if the mosaic map option was enabled by the user.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby M1013828 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:41 am

Im using the PNG file format currently, i exported png tiles stitched, edited, and reimported

Additionally, im using v2.9 final, are you saying i may be better off with 2.9 beta 3?

I will try and organise some report dumps when i come back from xmas leave,
M1013828

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi M1013828,

M1013828 wrote:Additionally, im using v2.9 final, are you saying i may be better off with 2.9 beta 3?

Sorry, I guess my terminology (or in this case, numerology) is unclear/unusual. The build to which I refer, namely v2.9 developmental build 3, is the third developmental build to follow the release-version of L3DT 2.9 (which was build 0). It's accumulated a number of bugfixes, as well as many of the changes to be incorporated in the next release (v3.0). Beta 3, by contrast, preceded v2.9 build 0 (i.e. 'final'), and was actually something like v2.8 build 28.

This unusual counting scheme has surprised a number of users, so I guess I should switch back to having the pre-release builds being the same major/minor version numbers as the final release, and give the final release a non-zero build number. Will do for v3.0.

Enjoy your leave!

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests