L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

DM Pencil

It doesn't hurt to ask...

DM Pencil

Postby monks » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi Aaron, just a query about the DM pencil. It's a little unresponsive, why? I don't know how you've coded it but wouldn't a long wait at the end of setting many pixels be better than lots of little waits after each individual pixel. If you could preserve the brush-like interaction more I think that would be a big improvement because it more often than not doesn't feel like drawing, more like punching lots of buttons. Perhaps this could tie in with my previous suggestion of current edits being red?

//hmm- maybe it's not quite that slow, but it could do with speeding up. It's the image overlay that slows things down.

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:51 pm

Hi Monks,

Yup, the image overlay is very, very far from being an optimal solution. It does quite a large buffer-redraw every time you modify a pixel. It's on my to-do list to improve this, but there are higher priorities at the moment.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:02 pm

well it does say BETA on the dialog box...

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby monks » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Here's a couple of more suggestions for the DM pencil:

The ability to invert pixel selection in any of the DM schemes.

Ability to apply a new setting to all currently selected pixels. For instance, you have just painted a large area with Erosion3, you then decide, erosion 4 would work better, so simply go into the DM pencil dialog, move the slider and press a button or whatever, and all of those pixels are changed at a stroke.

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi Monks,

This has been requested before, and I would have sworn that mouse selection tools were already on the to-do list. Hmmm...apparently not. Okay, I've added it to the list but not scheduled it for any particular release just yet.

Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:57 am

Hello,

Just a follow-up for the sake of completeness: the speed of the image drape has been fixed in the latest dev-build (2.4.1.8, 6th of Sept, Pro only). The difference shound not be noticeable now.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests