L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Rivers and Terrain Heightfield Editing

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Rivers and Terrain Heightfield Editing

Postby Shealladh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:38 pm

If we could get some form of "Find Rivers" would be really cool.

Aside from that I need Fratal Terrains format support, and I guess a plugin can be done with the immenent new version on 1st Oct.

I would like to be able to select or define the contour lines and reset any number to another heightfield, ie. Select the 3,500m down to 3,000 and make them squish down to 1,200-1,500m respectively. The underlying terrain could be reduced or left along with a simple tick of a box.

Being able to export the contour lines as a PPM, PGM, or PBM would be nice, but most of all I'd like a 3dmax import/export more than anything.

Then I'll be able to work with nwn2 and once I've gotten the format, build a plugin and import from fractal terrains to L3DT, edit the data, export to nwn2. Ad when the time is needed to modify landscapes, I import back into L3DT and make the necessary changes, simple.

Maybe these are a big ask and some may even be on the cards, so I shall pop back and keep an eye out :wink:
I take solice from the fact that I know nothing...compared to the rest of the world.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Hay all,

One of the features I have asked Aaron to work on is a variant brush sizer in the the Design map area. being able to make your brush size small enough to cut river, streams roads and really cool rock outcroppings and so on if we could have a way to take the brush size and divide it by say 8-16 for each square we are working on now would be hella cool. As an artist that is.....If you add that to what you are talking about Shealladh
OMG WOW...Part and parcle.

Aaron does have it on his TO DO LIST, but at this point I have no idea where on the list that particular change will be, or a time frame. I think it may have gotten lost, but maybe he still remembers it hahaha ROTFL. Probably so many more important changes to do mathematically it got lost in the mix.
Aaron where is it on the list? maybe next couple of months I hope? Wow what we could do with that upgrade. The way Photo Shops does the Brush sizing is what I kinda see, but with squares inside of the squares, not circles.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Re: Rivers and Terrain Heightfield Editing

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:01 am

Hi Shealladh,

Shealladh wrote:If we could get some form of "Find Rivers" would be really cool.

It's on the to-do list, but I can't say when I'll get to that. In the mean time, believe Saga GIS can be used for this. Is that correct SeerBlue?

Shealladh wrote:Aside from that I need Fratal Terrains format support, and I guess a plugin can be done with the immenent new version on 1st Oct.

Ah, you caught me there - I forgot to update the date on the home page. The next release will probably be next week or so. Nevertheless, the plugin system is already in the dev build on the downloads page, and the plugin code plus some demo projects can be downloaded from over here. To compile these projects as-is you'll need MSVC version 7.0 or later. It will probably compile in other C++ compilers, but if you use a different language altogether, you will need to port the CExtAPI class into that language. The class is just a wrapper for some function handles, so it shouldn't be too hard. I'm still working on the docs, of course.

Shealladh wrote:I would like to be able to select or define the contour lines and reset any number to another heightfield, ie. Select the 3,500m down to 3,000 and make them squish down to 1,200-1,500m respectively. The underlying terrain could be reduced or left along with a simple tick of a box.

Sure, I'll put that on the to-do list for v2.4c.

Shealladh wrote:Being able to export the contour lines as a PPM, PGM, or PBM would be nice.

Yeah, that's on the to-do list too. Probably v2.4c.

Shealladh wrote:but most of all I'd like a 3dmax import/export more than anything.

I've looked at this before, and export support looked a bit messy but not outrageously so. Import support would be much less fun, as the format is really quite hairy. Should anyone want to write a plugin for this, I will welcome and applaud their efforts.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Shealladh » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:11 pm

Cheers, thanx for the heads up guys. Much looking forward to the immenent update :lol:
I take solice from the fact that I know nothing...compared to the rest of the world.
Shealladh
Contributing member

Return to Feature requests