L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Height map refresh

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Height map refresh

Postby Demostenes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 pm

We are often modyfing height map directly in our game engine and sometimes it is necessary to go back to l3dt and regenerate various masks. Is there any way, how to refresh height map without necessity to manualy redraw atrribute map (not a chance to do it same), generate new water flood map, etc? Just reload height map and wait for regeneration?
http://www.esqgame.com - oldschool MMO in developement
Demostenes
Contributing member

Re: Height map refresh

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 am

Hi Demostenes,

Sorry, the short answer is no. L3DT generates masks, textures &c from the attributes map, which is in turn generated from the heightmap. Thus, if you update the heightmap, the masks won't change unless you also re-generate the attributes map. Furthermore, if you change the heightmap without re-calculating the water map, the water table could pop above the heightmap surface in places, and result in very strange attributes maps, light maps, textures, and alpha maps.

This is why L3DT automatically marks 'downstream' maps as being invalid whenever 'upstream' maps are changed.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Demostenes » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 pm

And is there any way, how to apply previous atributes map on new heightmap? Typically i know, where are the changes, so no problem for me to manualy "redraw" these small parts. I have only problem to repaint whole atrributes map, because I am never able to make is same again.
http://www.esqgame.com - oldschool MMO in developement
Demostenes
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi Demostenes,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. You can do this using the 'File->Import->New map layer' menu option. In the import window, set the layer name to "AM" and set the layer type to "attributes map". Please let me know if you find any problems with this method.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests