L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

DBO file format & River feature request

It doesn't hurt to ask...

DBO file format & River feature request

Postby yurif74 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Hello all!
I noticed L3DT doesn't have a DBO (Dark Basic Object) file exporter, it could be useful to have one!
Another function that could be added is a river generator (like the one in VISTA PRO for Amiga) user should click at a point and a river should be created (following the terrain slope) until it reach a lake,sea or border of map, then a special texture should be added in the river (selectable by user) water itself will be added by engine (this is an example with Leadwerks, look at the river texture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlKf0sW9j7M)

Regards
Juri
yurif74

Re: DBO file format & River feature request

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Juri,

Thanks fort the requests.

With regards to DBO, I note that utilities are available to generate DBO files from 3DS and X mesh files, which L3DT can export. I might write a direct DBO exporter if there are enough L3DT users working in DarkBasic, but otherwise I'm not inclined to prioritise the development of yet another mesh file exporter (especially one used by only one game engine). Thanks for the suggestion anyway, and I've put this on the request list in case circumstances change.

As for rivers, this is certainly something I've been thinking about, and tinkering with over many years. The difficulty in generating realistic rivers is that you can't just slap them down over existing terrain, at least not in a general sense without a lot of manual user input and editing. Rivers have quite complex and large-scale characteristics (e.g. monotonic downhill slope) that are computationally hard to produce and requires a great deal of erosion modelling. I have experimented with this in the past, but never got it working to my satisfaction. However, it is bubbling upwards on my to-do list, so I would hope to look at river modelling again for the release after next.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: DBO file format & River feature request

Postby yurif74 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello Aaron,
thank you for reply :) and thank you for taking consideration about DBO file exporter. Dark Basic pro actually support .X files but it appear that map exported in that format, on Dbpro results "x mirrored" (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=for ... 204277&b=1) i looked at the tutorial theread for making plugins but it's out of my abilities :S
Regarding rivers i think it could be a great feature even if it is not *pefect*, looking forward to it!

Best Regards
Juri
yurif74

Return to Feature requests