L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Project file splitting

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Project file splitting

Postby notareal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:28 am

I wonder if splitting a project to new project "tiles" could be implemented and saving a selection as a new project would be nice. Perhaps saving a selection as a new project at top priority. Every tile savings could have a option to save as overlapping tiles.

Just if you have made a nice huge project and you like to reuse parts of it, cannot find a nice way to do it, without recalculating everything from hightfield part.
notareal
Contributing member

Postby jack.dingler » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:45 pm

As you saw in the Plugins forum, I'm working on such a plug in now.

http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325

From Aaron's todo list, it appears that my efforts are parrallel to some of his.

I'll release source code to my plugin and maybe Aaron can integrate some of it into future releases?
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby notareal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 am

Noised your plugin project a bit late. Anyway If splitting a project to new projects is implemented in your plugin, it will answer half of the request.

Still saving a selection as a new project is in request.
notareal
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:47 am

Hello,

If the plugin can save tiles as new projects, then it should be pretty trivial to allow it to save selected areas as new projects. You could even use the view_GetSelArea function to get the area selected by the user with the mouse tool.

jack.dingler wrote:I'll release source code to my plugin and maybe Aaron can integrate some of it into future releases?

That would be awesome. My preferred option here would be to 'bless' this plugin as an official plugin, and include it in the installer package. Wherever possible now, I prefer to add new features via plugins so as to keep the exe source code manageable. Anyway, with the plugin source I'll be able to see more easily which functions I should be adding to the plugin API to make it all work easier, and I'd be more than happy to work on development with you. Since this is probably the most ambitious plugin so far, it will no-doubt require (or benefit from) API features not yet implemented.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests