L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Mosaic Selection Snap

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Mosaic Selection Snap

Postby LauraEss1957 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Having the snap toggle would allow the user to select whole groups of times easily, without typing that in manually or fiddling too much with the mouse. Selecting say, a 2x3 block would be as simple as one mouse gesture.

This would be a toggle setting in the EDIT menu , like "Snap to Mosiac Tile Borders" and greyed out if the project doesn't have Mosaic Tiles. When the setting was on, it would affect the Selection Mouse Mode only. When Snap was ON, selection boundaries created by the mouse would snap to nearby Mosiac borders. What was considered "nearby" would be a setting (in pixels or metres?) that could be changes somewhere in settings.
LauraEss1957
Contributing member

Re: Mosaic Selection Snap

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 am

Hi LauraEss1957,

Thankyou for the suggestion. Rather than have this snap to mosaic tile borders, I might instead allow users to define a grid (which may or may not coincide with mosaic tiles), and have the cursor selection optionally snap to that grid. This would be useful on non-mosaic maps too, and furthermore, would work as expected even when different map layers in the project have different mosaic tile sizes. I'll wrap this in with your suggestions from the other thread.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby LauraEss1957 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:57 am

That sounds even better!
LauraEss1957
Contributing member

Postby LauraEss1957 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:14 pm

I was thinking about this some more and it seemed to me that if the grid of selection areas was separate from the Mosaic functions then it would also make sense to be able to add selections on the fly, based on an area you've selected manually on the heightfield (or maybe on other layers like the water). I mean, nothing would prevent you from having overlapping areas if you wanted.

Also, the creation of a grid of selection areas would be a sort of "batch process" at the start. You could conceivably have several of those instead of just a square grid. You might say, have one that's offset horizontally by 50% on every 2nd row, creating a faux hex grid.
LauraEss1957
Contributing member

Return to Feature requests