L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Teleport on any 2D map

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Teleport on any 2D map

Postby LauraEss1957 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Being able to teleport in the 3D edit view is very handing, but why not allow the users to use it on any 2D map? Having use of teleport on all maps would be handy because it would ease navigation on a large map or one zoomed in, in which the whole map cannot be seen in a window. Jumping to a teleport location on a 2D map would move the window to that point in the same zoom setting, and if possible center that point on the screen. Also, even if the user can see the whole 2D map, it would be easier to set up a collection of Teleport settings initially, which could be used in 3D editing later.

Double clicking on any 2D map (other than the design map) brings up a box showing the heightfield coordinate, altitude, gradient, and curvature, so LT3D already knows the coordinates and altitude of where the mouse is pointing. Pressing "T" in any 2D map (except Design) would bring up the Teleport dialog box, just as it it does when 3D editing. X and Y points would be determined using the coordinates of the mouse, ans Z would be determined from the altitude of that position plus a height constant (say 100m, or a preset). For orientation Azm and Elev might be initially set to 0, or a preset like the height constant. All other functions of the Teleport dialog would be the same, so you could move to a different location with the mouse and update an existing Teleport preset, or remove one as well.

When using the Teleport to move on a 2D map it doesn't matter what the Z, Azm and Elev values are. When using Teleport presets created on a 2D map to move on a 3D map, the Z, Azm and Elev of the new locations would initially be whatever defaults/presets are used in the 2D map, but the user could easily change any of these, and update the teleport presets.

Teleport wouldn't work in the Design map, because there are no relevant coordinates given from that.
LauraEss1957
Contributing member

Re: Teleport on any 2D map

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi LauraEss1957,

Thankyou for the suggestion. Supporting teleport points in the 2D view has been something I've been idly thinking about for a number of years. I'll put it on the to-do list, but I can't promise any particular timeframe.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby LauraEss1957 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:44 pm

It's hardly an urgent thing, just a timesaver idea.

Where is the teleporting list kept? I've noticed - because I might work on different PCs in a home network - that Teleports I save on one PC don't always appear when I edit the same project on a different PC.
LauraEss1957
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:52 am

Hi LauraEss1957,

By default, the teleport points are stored in Sapphire's INI file, which sits in L3DT's settings path (something like C:\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Bundysoft\[version]\Settings\Sapphire.ini.xml). However, you can instead store the presets in the project settings file if you change the 'preset list' drop-list in the teleport window to 'project' (rather than 'sapphire').

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests