L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Are you sure

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Are you sure

Postby demi » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:44 pm

Let me first say there is a bug but I am REALLY glad it was there.

I decided to regenerate my map and change the Hortizonal resolution. Now since I have a POS computer it takes HOURS to generate map data so I do other stuff like write email, browse the boards. I have to be VERY careful not to accidently hit that big cancel button on the generation window.

Last night about 4 and a half hours into the map, I accidently hit that big old button. The time remaining was 7 hours and my heart sank. OMG I going to have to start all over again. :x Well it was late and I was tired so I just walked away from the computer, cussing of course, This morning The map heightfield was on the display. :o Seems that the cancel does not work right now.

Please add a "are you sure you want to stop 12 hours of work" button! And please make it default to NO!

In the past I have had to restart a process due to simply hitting the wrong key or my cat jumping up on my keyboard but a ARE YOU ABSOLUTLY, 100% SURE" button would save a lot of grief.

:D :D
demi
Oracle

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:25 am

Yes, same here. There have been several times I've been working on a process that took several hours and I accidently cancel it in the last minutes of it and just sit and stare at my screen for about 5 minutes. Then freak out for 10 more.

A verification menu would be great.
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby monks » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:13 pm

In the past I have had to restart a process due to simply hitting the wrong key or my cat jumping up on my keyboard but a ARE YOU ABSOLUTLY, 100% SURE" button would save a lot of grief.

-not making light of your woes demi but I had to laugh at the cat- i'm constantly having the unwarranted intervention of my cat secretaries at the keyboard :) Ours just seem to want to sit slap bang in the middle of whatever you are currently doing!

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Q-dad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Yeah, I was testing some exporting of tiles last night, and I thought maybe I had entered some wrong values, since L3DT appeared to have frozen. Esc had no effect, so I killed the app instead. Would be nice to have a progress meter, and a way to cancel as well.
Q-dad
Luminary

Postby demi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:48 pm

monks wrote:

-not making light of your woes demi but I had to laugh at the cat- i'm constantly having the unwarranted intervention of my cat secretaries at the keyboard :) Ours just seem to want to sit slap bang in the middle of whatever you are currently doing!

monks

Cats seem to know when you are ignoring them and make sure to let you know who is the boss.

:lol:
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi Q-dad,

Q-dad wrote:I was testing some exporting of tiles last night, and I thought maybe I had entered some wrong values, since L3DT appeared to have frozen. Esc had no effect, so I killed the app instead. Would be nice to have a progress meter, and a way to cancel as well.

Which file format(s) were you using? Most of the file-writers are supposed to show progress bars, but I may have missed one or two.

Oh, unless you were using JPEG or BMP, in which case I'm using a library that doesn’t give me the callback options I need to make a progress bar. I could look into using another lib some time in the future, but for the moment we're stuck with no progress bar for these formats.

Adding a cancel button during file I/O would require multi-threading of the file handling units. It’s something I intend to do eventually, but it’ll be rather complex and possibly very buggy.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 am

Hello,

It took me over a year to do it, but I've finally implemented the "are you sure?" feature. When you click cancel, the button changes to "Really?", and you have to click it again to cancel. If you take too long, it reverts back to "Cancel". The change is in L3DT v2.5 Pro RC3.3.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:18 pm

Now that's dedication!

But, err, strange thing, why not just run the program minimized? All windows (like ones with the cancel button) don't display, and I tend to find at times it runs a bit quicker.
piratelord
Luminary

Postby demi » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:34 am

When I am doing a terrain I like to know progress and sometimes forget to do that when I walk away. LOL
demi
Oracle

Postby demi » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:35 am

aaron wrote:Hello,

It took me over a year to do it, but I've finally implemented the "are you sure?" feature. When you click cancel, the button changes to "Really?", and you have to click it again to cancel. If you take too long, it reverts back to "Cancel". The change is in L3DT v2.5 Pro RC3.3.

Cheers,
Aaron.

WOOT! and thanks a bunch!
demi
Oracle

Return to Feature requests