L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

REQ: Changing the installer

It doesn't hurt to ask...

REQ: Changing the installer

Postby mip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi aaron,

for the last few releases, I tried to be on the bleeding edge of your development.
When installing, I noticed that you didn't implement a check for existing previous versions.

It would be fine if your installer could check for existing versions (at least ones from the same branch (std/prof, beta/release)) and offer an upgrade, as it is a tedious task to remove the old versions manually.

Furthermore, I'm missing an installation dialogue where one can choose the location of the start menu entry.

I know, these whishes aren't important compared to your work on the software itself, but as your're using NSIS, it requires only minor additions to your installer script.
mip

Postby Leon PRO » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:50 pm

Sometimes need have many versions, if newest have bad bug.
I use 6 lastest versions (subversions).
-= I am from Russia, sorry for bad English =-
Leon PRO
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:25 am

Hi Mip,

As Leon showed, the dev builds are intended for parallel installation so that users don't have to re-install an older version if serious bugs are found. I intend to retain that functionality, but I'm happy to add a 'remove older versions' checkbox to the installer (disabled by default). I've added this to the to-do list for L3DT v2.5a.

...as it is a tedious task to remove the old versions manually.

How are you uninstalling? The method I use is the uninstaller link in the start menu, and the whole process takes a few clicks and about 10 seconds.

Furthermore, I'm missing an installation dialogue where one can choose the location of the start menu entry.

Okay, I'll pop that in the installer at my next convenience.

Thanks for the requests.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mip » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:11 am

Thx, aaron.

aaron wrote:How are you uninstalling? The method I use is the uninstaller link in the start menu, and the whole process takes a few clicks and about 10 seconds.
Yes, when it's installed in the standard locations in the start menu. But when moving start menu entries after installation, these entries have to be removed manually. But that should be not a problem anymore, if start menu location can be chosen during installation.
mip

Return to Feature requests