L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Heightfields for climates?

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Heightfields for climates?

Postby jack.dingler » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:40 pm

As long as we're looking at a wish list...

Rather than fixed gradients of altitude for texture ranges, how about using two heightfields?

If the pixel falls between top and bottom heightfield, then the texture is enabled.

If the bottom one overlaps the top, then the texture is disabled.

This would allow effects such as crustal deofmrations, shifted stratification, granite domes, etc...

In the wilds, if you see stratification in a rock layer, the bands are rarely level and normally a bit uneven. This would allow us to recreate this effect.

This would also allow us to localize climate settings to a specific part of the map.
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've put this on the to-do list. The plan is to enable plugins to exend the scoring algorithm in the attributes map calculation, so that this and other information (e.g. rain/temperature/etc maps) can be taken into account. The first demo plugin I write for this will do the min/max bounds as heightfields, as per your request.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:13 pm

So, this means we can stop grass appearing above a certain altitude? That would be handy, since on some of my maps I get nice lush grass appearing at the top of our mountains, which looks a bit odd :D
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:12 am

Hi Piratelord,

You can stop grass from appearing at certain altitudes using hte min/max alt ranges. In this tutorial I show how this can be used to set the min/max alt for sand, but it's equally applicable to grass/snow/etc, but with different altitude ranges, of course.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests