L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Climate adjustment for rainfall

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Climate adjustment for rainfall

Postby piratelord » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Just thinking, you could do a simple adjustment to the watermap by specifying the direction of rainfall/air currents.
It then processes a rainfall map just like the shadow map, but dark areas then represent areas that have lower water content.

That way you can have one side of a mountain drier then the other, since all/most the rain falls on the mountainside.
piratelord
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:43 am

Hi Piratelord,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure this is a 'simple adjustment', but I'll pop it on the to-do list and have a thinker about it.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby piratelord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks Aaron.

It's a "nice to have". I'm glad you understand my ramblings :D

Be very useful for the increasing number of people using L3DT with the Atlas system in Torque to produce realistic maps.

Most likely "teaching your granny to suck eggs" but here's how I think the process would be:

Water map generating settings, option to specify direction rainfall falls across the map, and I guess wind strength.
These two values can be converted into settings like the light map, azimuth/elevation.

By lightmap I just mean that yellow/black calculation display, not the final map itself.

Then somehow adjusting the base watermap so that black areas on the rainfall map are 50% drier (customisable setting?).
I don't think you would need to worry about areas that get lots of rain. It could be the watermap is at 100% "wetness" by default.
piratelord
Luminary

Return to Feature requests