L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Request for .obj export

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Request for .obj export

Postby 3DUser » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:50 am

I just saw a recent plugin exchange on one of the forums about Python and Blender.

I request a .obj export from L3DT so that the terrain can be imported into Blender and maybe other packages as well. My reading indicates that other packages use .obj too.

Although Blender has a DirectX importer (I tried it by exporting a file from L3DT), the importer did not work correctly. Also, I hope this will make other rendering applications available as well.

What to do about textures? I have no idea since I'm not a software developer. I don't know if they can be attached to .obj files.

Respectfully,
3DUser
3DUser

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:57 am

Hi 3DUser,

Thanks for the request. I've put this on the updated the 'format requests' table on the plugin ideas page. Clearly a better mesh file representation is desired, as the three outstanding requests are for 3DS, OBJ and B3D. I'll look at implementing one of these (probably 3DS) once I've churned through some higher priorities, which realistically means the wait will be months, not weeks or days. I must admit I implemented the plugin system with the vain hope that I might be freed from the pleasure of writing more format handlers. Not just yet, it seems. :wink:

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:32 am

Hi 3DUser,

I've uploaded my first attempt at ther OBJ plugin to:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=plugins:fileio:l3dtio_obj

The files seem to load OK in Blender (heightfield only, no texture).

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests