L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

TGEA Water export.

It doesn't hurt to ask...

TGEA Water export.

Postby metalliandy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:50 am

Hey Aaron,

Would it be possible to include a feature that automatically exports the TGEA water block (or water block positioning data) along with the Atlas file, as when i export to atlas it shows the L3DT water.

I only ask because i want the features of water maps (such as positioning etc.) and if i export with the L3DT water there is a noticeable difference between the two when i replace it with the TGEA water block.

make sense?

lol

I think this would be a real time saver for alot of people.

Thanks for looking :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Metalliandy,

Sounds good. Exactly what data would you like, and in what format?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby metalliandy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Hey Aaron,

Im not sure what information is best for a situation like this...
Basicly what i wanted was upon loading the atlas file in TGEA, all the L3DT water is replaced by the TGEA water block.

Maybe someone like Madcowthomas (hint hint :wink: )has an idea what TGEA needs for this.

I will have a search around to see if i can find some more info. :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby Madcowthomas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:16 pm

What a sec are you using the casting water shadows in lighting?
From the mad cows desk to yours,
Peace
Madcowthomas

Yo...Reggie vacation mom!

"Without imagination we would cease to exist"
William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Burping Babies are the Cause of Global Warming!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Postby metalliandy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey Madcowthomas,
thanks for replying so fast :)

At the moment i use as many of the options during map creation as possible.
Do you mean the cast shadows and the water effects in the light map calc?
If so, then yes i use them both. :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby Madcowthomas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 am

The water block from TGEA engine is running off the Direct X and the Sapphire is believe off the openGL. So there both 2 different water blocks, I'm not a program but don't think Arron could bring the TGEA water block into the Sapphire engine.

Recommend to turn off the water effects that solve some of the look on the terrain. I only use the water effect when creating alien worlds.

I have not found a solution how to get both to match up, right testing some ideas to see get them to match up little better.
From the mad cows desk to yours,
Peace
Madcowthomas

Yo...Reggie vacation mom!

"Without imagination we would cease to exist"
William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Burping Babies are the Cause of Global Warming!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Postby metalliandy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:13 am

Thanks for the reply, :)
Couldn't the DirectX TGEA water block code and positioning data be exported exclusively to Atlas and the OpenGL code to sapphire independently of each other?
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 am

Hi Metalliandy,

Am I correct in thinking that you just need the correct height of the waterblock? If so, does TGEA use the same vertical units for the water block as it does for the Atlas terrain (unsigned short integers)? If so, then you can calculate the water block height using the following formula:

BlockHeight = -65536 * MinAlt / (MaxAlt-MinAlt)

Where MinAlt and MaxAlt are taken from the 'Operations->Heightfield->Change vert. scale' dialog.

This gives you the height in Atlas units of sea-level.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby metalliandy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:27 pm

Hey Aaron,

That's cool to know:)

<remembers>BlockHeight = -65536 * MinAlt / (MaxAlt-MinAlt)</remembers>

...but what i actually wanted to know if you could directly replace the L3DT water with the TGEA water block upon export to atlas.

e.g.. When the Atlas file is loaded into TGEA the water block is already where it should be...thus replacing the L3DT water.

The main problem is that the texture from the L3DT water is baked on the texture and looks strange when the TGEA water is placed over it.

Is this possible?
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Metalliandy,

metalliandy wrote:The main problem is that the texture from the L3DT water is baked on the texture and looks strange when the TGEA water is placed over it.

To stop the water map being baked onto the lightmap/texture, disable the 'water effects' checkbox on the light mapping wizard.

metalliandy wrote:...but what i actually wanted to know if you could directly replace the L3DT water with the TGEA water block upon export to atlas.

Not readily. I don't have the sourcecode for the Atlas plugin. I could probably modify the still-experimental alternative L3DTio_Atlas2 plugin to add the water block, but that plugin still requires a lot of work.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby metalliandy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Hey Aaron,

aaron wrote:To stop the water map being baked onto the lightmap/texture, disable the 'water effects' checkbox on the light mapping wizard.

sweet, its strange how things like that stare you in the face...lol...thanks for the tip :)
aaron wrote:Not readily. I don't have the sourcecode for the Atlas plugin. I could probably modify the still-experimental alternative L3DTio_Atlas2 plugin to add the water block, but that plugin still requires a lot of work.

Cool, that would be awesome :)

If truth be told, i would rather use your plugin rather than the "official" plugin, because you have more control over it etc. and can add what you want when you want to.
Generally, GG are not renowned for quick releases or updates of any software they develop.:(

If you need any help with testing it, i would be glad to help in anyway i could :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Postby MDynna » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm just starting to help Aaron develop this plugin actually. Between his knowledge of his app and my experience with Atlas importing, we should be in good shape.
MDynna
Contributing member

Postby metalliandy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Hey MDynna,

That's great news!
I will be looking forward to its progress :)

As i said, if there is anything i can do to help PM or email me. :)
metalliandy
Doyen

Return to Feature requests