L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Design map resolution when importing heightmap

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Design map resolution when importing heightmap

Postby Prautio » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 am

Hiya,

there's something that has been bugging me for a while now in L3DT, and that's generating design maps from imported heightmaps. Currently, when you do that the design map is always the same size (16x16 pixels), and, consequently, you lose a lot of detail if you have a somewhat highly detailed heightmap.

So yeah, L3DT should prompt the user for the dimensions of the design map if you import a heightmap and generate one out of it. Could you do this for me? Cheers.

edit: oh yeah, where can I find the latest dev builds? I've been nosing around for a bit and it seems that they're quite hard to find. I also took a look at the dev. plan and saw that you're planning to improve the 3D map editing tools, looking forward to it :)
Last edited by Prautio on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prautio

Postby Aaron » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Prautio,

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried the import design map option? It allows you to set the resolution.

Otherwise I'll point out that the ratio of the design map size to the heightfield size is still hard-coded at 64. I will, in the moderately near future, allow this to be changed.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Prautio » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:41 am

It seems that I should have been more attentive and concentrated a bit more on the subject! Well, time to scratch that one out, I am completely satisfied :)

And that was a damn swift reply if I might say. I'm liking this place already.
Prautio

Re: Design map resolution when importing heightmap

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:48 am

Hello again,

Oops, I seemed to have missed this bit:

Prautio wrote:edit: oh yeah, where can I find the latest dev builds? I've been nosing around for a bit and it seems that they're quite hard to find. I also took a look at the dev. plan and saw that you're planning to improve the 3D map editing tools, looking forward to it :)

Most dev builds are only released in the Professional version. If you want to access these, you can register for a L3DT Pro trial by following these instructions.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Prautio » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:56 pm

I actually do have the L3DT Pro trial, I believe I got it before the summer (that means there could be a few bucks coming your way in the near future :) ).
Prautio

Return to Feature requests