L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

"Bumpmapped strata"

It doesn't hurt to ask...

"Bumpmapped strata"

Postby Prautio » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:30 pm

Hey Aaron,

first, take a look at these two pictures (both were taken in Spring, different maps):

ImageImage

Pictured here are two slopes. In the first one you can clearly see that the strata data (heh) used is bumpmapped (?) and reacts to the sun direction, creating a 3D-esque effect. The second picture is included for comparison, and is what can be achieved with current L3DT features (although I strongly suspect that the texture wasn't generated with L3DT as the strata in the slope looks very detailed). So, in a nutshell, strata can be used to create detail in slopes even though it's not it's original purpose.

And now, since we're here, it would be nice to see similar lighting effects in textures generated by L3DT. I haven't asked the guy who made those maps (he did make both of them) what kind of application he is using to generate the texture since map making methods are considered to be trade secrets in the Spring mapping community. But yeah, bump mapped strata would be sweet.

Cheers.
Prautio

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:27 am

Hi Prautio,

I don't think they're using strata here. It looks very much like those steps are simply artefacts from using 8-bit images to store the heightfield. This practice introduces regular steps on slopes such as those shown in the images. Normally this is considered detrimental, but in some cases it can look quite nice.

I think the best way to archive this in L3DT would to have a heightfield effect plugin that used a stepped clipping function, which would mimic the 8-bit clipping but in a brush-tool. Are there any takers, or shall I add this to my to-do list?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Prautio » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Oh, right. I for one can't code at all even though I'd like to, so I can't help here. I'll keep my fingers crossed in anticipation, though.
Prautio

Postby Forboding Angel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:52 pm

those maps were also done in bryce...
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby monks » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:43 pm

I don't think they're using strata here. It looks very much like those steps are simply artefacts from using 8-bit images to store the heightfield.

Yes, classic in fact!

monks
monks
Oracle

Return to Feature requests