L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

DM Editor, Real-word coordinates, ...

It doesn't hurt to ask...

DM Editor, Real-word coordinates, ...

Postby mip » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:41 pm

• Editing the design map is - in my opinion - currently a quite unintuitive task (as it often promotes editing multiple dimensions - e.g. altitude, fractal features, ... - at once without having a direct feedback) and requires a lot of time consuming iteration (creating design map, make a test render, refining design map, ...).

To ameliorate this, it would be fine to have some more tools as e.g.
    • an eyedropper to grab the brush settings,
    • a stamp tool,
    • and palettes to save brushes for reuse
    to be able to work with well-known settings, and produce more predictable results.
  • Maps in L3dt should have "real world" coordinates (offset of origin from world's origin) instead of simply x = 0..width, y=0..height.
    This gets important when parts of a map are to be included into another map (map blending is an often requested feature and many different approaches to this complex task can be found...).
mip

Re: DM Editor, Real-word coordinates, ...

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Mip,

Thanks for the suggestions. The design map editing interface is due for revision either in the next release or the one after, and I'll take your ides onboard.

Regarding real-world coordinates: L3DT has internal support for this already, but I've yet to make a user-interface for it. A georeferencing UI plugin is on the to-do list, and will probably be included in the next release (v2.6).

Thanks for the thesis link. A map blending plugin remains on the to-do list and I will get to that in due course.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests