L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

How about small terrain support for Atlas exporter?

It doesn't hurt to ask...

How about small terrain support for Atlas exporter?

Postby rastoboy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:32 pm

I just discovered the Atlas exporter for L3DT, and let me tell you, it's made my day. All I can say is--groovy. Delightful.

However, since you effectively cannot export terrains below 1024^2, it's kinda limited, ironically. For my project, even 1024 is kinda ridiculous. But yet I am working in TGEA, and thus must use Atlas for my terrain. Hardly a hardship, of course, but nonetheless it would be nice to do 128^2 or even smaller terrains straight from L3DT without all that annoying work involved with manual conversion.

Best,
Lee
rastoboy

Postby Aaron » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:06 am

Hi Lee,

The <1024 pixel warning is out of my control; it's within the plugin code, which was written by GarageGames. However, as a TGEA licensee, you should have the source to the plugin already, so you can remove the warning and recompile if you like. That said, I suspect Ben put that warning there for a reason; he knows his code.

Just a thought: If you're using 128^2 or smaller, you may get better results if you render the terrain as a static mesh. It's hard for me to see how you'd be needing Atlas' dynamic LOD and geometry/texture paging for a map that small. Then again, I'm not a very experienced TGEA user, so feel free to disregard my opinion.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

PS: Are there any Atlas gurus lurking in the forum today, who may be able to offer a more informed opinion than I?
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby rastoboy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:21 am

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for that!

I didn't realize I had acess to the plugin code :)

I'll have to check it out.

I hear ya about the small terrains. It's just a matter of being easier on me coding-wise, 'cause the terrain concept is already in TGEA.

I'd still like to get that polysoup code going properly, though.

lee
rastoboy

Return to Feature requests