L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Texture Map, Hand editing textures

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Texture Map, Hand editing textures

Postby Rhino » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:46 pm

I have just noticed that the little "edit" button in the Texture Map window dose not bring you to sapphire like in the heightfiled bit or w/e but instead brings up a little window where you can paint colour onto your terrain :)

Now at the moment this is not much use to me paiting 1 plain colour onto the terrain, but if we could paint a texture down by hand, which would also some how effect the alpha map too that would be really nice. Like painting a concrete area of the map where you plan to have a city for example like what I have just had to have done in one of the maps I was just making, thou I did all the concrete painting by hand in the BF2editor.

Anyways basically all it needs is to have a new box where you can select a texture, some how tell it to paint between the texture and colour and then for you to freely paint that texture over your terrain :D

anyways just an idea, would help alot if it effected the alpha map too also :D

EDIT: also with maybe some way to save the layers you have painted so if you need to regen the underneath you dont need to repaint your layers, just import them some how :D
Rhino

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:43 am

Hi Rhino,

I think much of what you want can be achieved by using the attributes map brush. The attributes map is the mask used to generate both the texture map and the alpha maps, so if you manually edit this map, your changes are applied to both. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Rhino » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:33 pm

perfect! thanks, this will help me alot :D

would be nice to have a undo feature on it, if possible ;)
Rhino

Postby Rummy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm

The attribute map is to me one of the most powerful map types produced and for me the most useful as I simply can't use the generated textures. I've seen folks ask for ways to generate land specific tile set maps( tiled landuse maps) . Since many engines use some form of landuse map working from an index image you can create one of these from the attribute map, you just need to do a bit of math so that when scaled one attribute map pixel equals the size of your tile. It's important however not to make it high resolution and make sure your climate uses rgb values your engine will understand. Since we can export the attribute map as a colored .png...presto landuse map. You can also paint on it too so ...hey even more flexible.

I do agree that a undo for the paintbrush is needed as well as perhaps ways to stroke along paths (thinking along the lines PS pen tool) or Bezier curve tool. That's allow you to assign streams, roads, shorelines or any curved line with ease. These are the types of attributes you have to do by hand and that's not a problem if you work from you heightfield overlay. Another beneficial pen tool would be one that allowed me to paint a pixel, hold down a specific keyboard key and click elsewhere drawing a line between the two points. Oh yeah and a key assigned to the grab key so that I don't have to switch back and forth. All my photoshop time says make it the space bar......just some thoughts :D
Rummy
Contributing member

Return to Feature requests