L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

64 bit build

It doesn't hurt to ask...

64 bit build

Postby farlen » Fri May 02, 2008 1:02 am

I did a cursory search of the forums and found only a few posts regarding 64 bit processing with L3DT. It would be nice to get a 64 bit build of L3DT so that more RAM could be addressed resulting in less hard disk paging and therefore better performance. Additionally, I am not sure how much double precision numbers are used in L3DT, but the 64 bit processor can process doubles much more efficiently than 32 bit systems, so there should be a significant gain in speed in operations where L3DT uses doubles.

I am not sure what portability issues may exist in the source code, but I would dearly love to be able to have L3DT use a larger portion of the 8GB I have on my machine.
farlen

Postby kittle » Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Ditto on the 64-bit support

And the same for multi-core support.
being able to render and/or calculate parts of the map in paralell would help a lot. especially if one can run 2, 4 or even 8 threads at once.
kittle

Postby farlen » Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 pm

FYI kittle - multicore support is already a feature of the professional version and it's very handy. Check out this link for more info:

http://www.bundysoft.com/docs/doku.php? ... ithreading
farlen

Postby kittle » Thu May 08, 2008 7:48 pm

yes I discovered that after I purchased the pro edition. 8k x 8k texmap in 5min =)

however it seems there should be other places things could get optimized with multi-core support -- at least based on my naive understanding of the algolrithms.
kittle

Return to Feature requests