L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Shadow Lore

What are you up to?

Postby monks » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:10 pm

Hey Deathmaster, that's fantastic! I like the idea of FPR/RPG- that's where things are going imo. The two worlds should come together- the technically top notch FPS engines and the character development and sheer scope of RPGs.
I love the sheer sense of scale- it's one of my pet hates- having piffling mountains,
Good luck with it

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:41 pm

Heh, glad you all like it. Oh, and sorry I haven't gotten to posting stuff in the gallery yet. I feel its not all ready to release yet, nothing really impressive. Tryin to make some better work before I try to publicly flaunt it all
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 am

Well, with TSE I've recently hit an issue with shorelines. Now, L3DT works just fine with this on its water calculations on the texutre, so I figured all was well.

Well, the issue I later came up with is, my game is going to be very dynamic. Dynamic lighting, day/night, all sorts of things. So, I can't have dynamic everything and static shorelines. So, I decided to make dynamic shorelines.

And so, heres a pic. Keep in mind, I threw this together in like, 30 min so its not perfect. At the moment it only calculates colors based on the terrains height. Its kind of a hack-up to make sure the color calculations work right. And indeed they do!

Next step is to add in calculations based on waterblock positions.

Remember, this water is NOT textured. Its shaded by a pixel shader. Eventually it will be to the point that the colors can change at any given moment. And if you were to move the waterblock, the blue would move with it.

dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:24 am

Mmmmm, I do like that pixel-shader magic - well done!

I apologise if this is a silly question, but what is a 'waterblock'? I'm not familiar with that term.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:58 am

heh, sometimes I get too caughtup in Torque terms. A Waterblock simple refers to kind of what it sounds like: its a block of water. Its a special type of object that represents water. Slows you down when you swim through it, makes your screen blue, water texture, ect. Its a water object in the shape of a block. Thus, waterblock. ;)
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 am

Okay, thanks dEaThMaStEr. I thought it might be something like that, but it's good to know the capabilities.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:51 pm

hahah, I'm the Water Master!

dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:44 pm

Mmmm...looks gorgeous! I see why TSE is so popular.
Aaron
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Users' projects