L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

INC NEW Climates

Cool programs, tutorials, texture libraries, et cetera.

INC NEW Climates

Postby DeathTwister » Sat May 20, 2006 10:24 pm

Good day to all,

Since Aaron has added such a new wonderful climate editor in the new beta releases, I thought that maybe peeps would like to use some of my climates and Textures to help them in their Terra forming projects. I have been doing photo shoots and have had textures on hand for years (maybe 60 gigs of textures) and almost if not all textures are mine, (I think) and of course a few that Aaron had in L3DT with the default, which are very good (and if not broken, don't fix it) and some I forget where I originally got them from (but have reworked them) so I have made so far at least 2 climates that I wanted to share with all.

ATOMIX (Special)
ZIP FILE: includes graphic's, Climate & text file.
http://www.theatomizer.com/Downloads/ATOMIX_Special.zip

This first one is from local Photos I have taken mostly in the Klamath area on my mountain bike rides, and some in the San Fran Bay area of some rock textures I found when I was there recently.
I have been re-making our "Le Galleria" to import into the TSE engine and wanted to make sure I had the textures right before I did. So I thought maybe to share this climate.

This is a closer look at this climate.
Close up on the terrain. I hope people can use this as a resource.

Volcanic (Special)
ZIP FILE: includes graphic's, Climate & text file
http://www.theatomizer.com/downloads/VolcanicClimate.zip

The Textures in this one I have been collecting for a while. None are photos done lately, but all are good in one way or another. I have 3 variants to share with this one to show the power of Aarons climates. By just playing with the grass and grass 2 I have 3 different terrains, with just 2 textures on each one or switching them out. I will zip all textures that I use in the 3 variances.
Variance 1-
Variance 2-
Variance 3-

and one of a closer look at the texturing..

I will post here by Monday night, I hope tomorrow with the ZIPS here for people. I have to go in through and collect all those textures and put them in the right folders for peeps to know where they go, and I am tired now so going to go have dinner and maybe play some games, and get back to this on the morning dew. I did want you guys to know I am working on it though and have been having allot of fun with this and I hope you guys will also.

DeathTwister :twisted: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Last edited by DeathTwister on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Mon May 22, 2006 2:00 pm

Thanks DT, downloaded them this morning, just had time to browse the textures though. I have one question , are you just dropping the textures into L3DT's folder for the textures, I did not have time to check to see if you used original tex names and I don't want to lose the native L3DT textures. I would check myself but L3DT is on a different comp and I am just killing time on the laptopwhile the car gets serviced ( free internet at an auto dealer, guess they hope it makes the time pass faster). SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby SeerBlue » Mon May 22, 2006 2:05 pm

Oops, just noticed your climate list in the zip, excellant way to track what goes where. think I shall adopt that myself once I get off my duff and start makinf textures from the tons of sandstone that is out here. :oops: SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby DeathTwister » Mon May 22, 2006 6:09 pm

Hay seerblue,

Oops, just noticed your climate list in the zip, excellant way to track what goes where. think I shall adopt that myself once I get off my duff and start makinf textures from the tons of sandstone that is out here.

Yes I have text file, so peeps can have the info they needed. To answer some of the questains. I have redid a few of the default Textures that Aaron did. Maybe keep them in a diferent DIR as I did some little tweaks to a few if I remember right. And thanks for the compliment by the way. I was tring to make it a bit easier for ya all, and it seemed the best way to do it.

Oh yes and you can also, "Aaron showed me in a post" set a Texture Dir where you want it so the new installs wont take out your texture base in the paths dir in L3DT under stiings.

I will post one other Climate later, and it will have allot of new Textures I am working on with grass and some other goodies. No ETA yet a week or 2. Grass is not as easy as I would like to get real good quality. That new resource tool (posted on the resouce page here) I think will help me on my next texture run.

OOH please if you get some good 4 pixel photos of sandstone other other stuff, and need help making em seemless I am willing to help, if nothing more lets trade photo textures. That would be great. Same to you Aaron when you do your walk-a-bouts? if you would take a digi camera and we could maybe start a texture bank somewhere? Getting different textures from around the world would sure be a hoot, dont ya think?

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby SeerBlue » Tue May 23, 2006 6:57 am

Thanks DT, and sure thing on the sandstone textures, I am in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and the Badlands are just down the road, so sand stone abounds. Everything from white to red to orange. It will be the weekend before I get out again with my Canon, full time Dad job keeps me busy during the week. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Add On Texture pack

Postby DeathTwister » Fri May 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi all,

Oops, I kinda forgot to check my textures some of them when I uploaded and I had wanted to have a few other textures there in the mud bottom then I had , sooooo...

Here is a Texture pack (with _bumps) I think you will all enjoy with some textures I don't think you have since I shot most of them. I think they are all new and not in the climate packs, if some are oops sorry, but I think i got it right :wink:. The file/folders is about 5.2 megs but I think worth the upload for ya.
Lighten them or darken them to your taste as I know you will :wink:. Some of these may work better in huge terrains and others in real small terrains, depending on your needs, as there are a few I have not tested all the way :roll: but I think they will be fun. Tweak them, layer them mess with them have great fun, and if you get good results, then re-post them again after we get the texture bank up and running. both digital and real, if its good its good, know what I mean? :) :P :lol: :wink:
If anyone has any trouble with downloads or textures , please let me know 8)

Here is a shot of the new textures I was using:
http://www.theatomizer.com/postedImages/VG1f12.jpg
Download Texture.zip:
http://www.theatomizer.com/downloads/AddInTextures.zip

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby jsw » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:16 pm

DeathTwister, are the climates and textures mentioned in this thread still available? I would love to check them out.

--Jeff
Jeff Weinstein
Lead Engineer, 3D Technology and Tools
The Multiverse Network, Inc.
jsw

Postby DeathTwister » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:04 pm

Hay JSW,

Way to go dude, good to see yaz on board wizz usin terranuts.

Jeff wrote:
DeathTwister, are the climates and textures mentioned in this thread still available? I would love to check them out.
--Jeff

Funny you should ask?, and yes I had uploaded a bunch of textures and bump maps to go with them (about 7 1/2 weeks ago), and then right after that, the Server that the http://www.theatomizer.com was on went belly up and for over 3 weeks. That website was off-line until we got it back up on a new server, Huge pain in the U know where. /winks.

Yes we got it back up, but some of the pages still had not been converted and was not yet MySQL as we were using different code/data base from before. So we have had to be rebuild with the new data base stuff, not all has been finished up yet, and that was one of the things on that 2-Do List, fix the downloads page. Still has not been done, but we will get it working soon again.

In the mean time here is the link to that zip file. It is almost 10megs I must worn you, but I think well worth it. Most if not all are seamless, and all have bump maps for L3DT to go with each one at full 12 .jpg quality. Have fun mixing and matching, and I have noticed that some work better then others in some areas, and those same ones that don't work in those ares work killer in others, and also good for Terragen, Max and other software to keep the look and feel all the same. Have fun my brothers....

LINKS:
NEW Zip of Klamath Textures for L3DT http://www.theatomizer.com/Downloads/INCTextures.zip

And the other link from the top of this post that was broken is now fixed at: http://www.theatomizer.com/Downloads/ATOMIX_Special.zip

If you have any trouble getting it? Please let me know, but I tested it and it worked for me pretty good so you all should have it as well.

Also I will get up on the new http://texturesource.org website links real soon 4 good seamless tile makers for the rough files on that website. I used Bricks'N tiles for that texture.zip by the way & FYI :idea: :idea: :wink:

DeathTwister :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby jsw » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:41 pm

I found them. Thanks!

--Jeff
Jeff Weinstein
jsw

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:55 am

Hello,

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to set up a climate repository in the wiki? How many people have climates that they're willing to share/develop with others?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby jsw » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:00 am

I would like it, since I need to make some different looking terrains for something I'm working on, and don't have the time right now to make my own climates. But I don't have any climates of my own to contribute.

--Jeff
Jeff Weinstein
jsw

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:44 am

Hello,

I've created the beginnings of the climate repository here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=climates

The link in the site menu is 'wiki->climate repository' (note the site dropdown-menu doesn't work in the forums for IE because its CSS support is just a bit crapful, and that includes the brand new IE7 too. If you are using IE, please consider tying Firefox or Opera, which actually work properly.)

Anyway, back on topic: If users create their climate pages in the 'climates' namespace, their page will automatically contain a template for various bits of information, like my demo page here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=climates:arctic24

Happy authoring/uploading!

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Woot good idea Aaron.

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Useful resources