L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

World Texture Repository

Cool programs, tutorials, texture libraries, et cetera.

Postby JavaJones » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:08 pm

The issue with new albums is a permissions problem. I'll let DT know how to handle it in PM.

I think for alphas and bump maps it would be best to upload any corresponding bumpmap/alpha/whatever into the same folder at the same time as the base/color image. For alpha/bump maps that don't necessarily correspond to any particular base image (rare?), we could make separate folders, or you could put them in Misc. Comments on what would be preferred are welcome.

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby monks » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:48 am

Um...as ar as I know, the term "alpha" is used in computer graphics to represent transparency (it certainly does around these parts, anyhow.)

well yes, it was originally used for that as I understand but it's used more generally now isn't it?

Do you want the elevation map/bump data of a texture to be stored in the alpha layer? Note this would also restrict us to using 32-bit PNG images, as bitmap and JPEG don't have alpha layers. If you just want the elevation/bump data as a separate image file, then I see no reason why the uploader can't just upload the corresponding elevation image to the same folder at the same time. This would require no changes from DeathTwister / Oshyan.

That's an interesting idea. I was really talking about texture.org not L3DT- yeah I guess that upload idea would work just fine. Creating alphas (greyscale masks really) seems fairly straightforward but the convenience of having a 'bump' would be nice. I could use L3DT for normals, etc couldn't I? I'm still new to this texture lark- I was thinking how I could leverage L3DT the other day. Does L3DT do displacement maps? We could use L3DT in the workflow for that. I read that normals are used for high freq and displacement for low-mid freq deformations.

//edit: just realised that a disp map is really no different from any other greyscale and it depends on the renderer supporting it.

actually never thought of adding bump maps and alpha maps for each textures, but that is not a bad idea.

It's a thought- it would be convenient and helpful to novices maybe? As a texture novice myself I found having a corresponding bump was a bonus -plus it could add value to the site. :) Let's make it a great site eh? I think it's going to be a great resource. :D
bike ride to the coast and maybe get some good redwood bark today to post on TS

Nice! Don't have too many of those around these parts. 8)

/OT
then have musicians coming from out of town to Jam for a couple of days in the studio.

Wish I could be there to play a few bars- maybe sometime send me one of your tracks and I could do a guitar thang in VST or something. :D I could send you the track and you could mix it??? I've only got a SoundBlaster at the mo (hehe). When I get my new comp next year I'm looking to put a decent sound card in this old one- come to think of it I have a Marian Marc4 in a drawer somewhere- I could just as easily use that but I don't like installing multiple scards on the same comp- things can get really messy lol- so I may have to wait 'til then. Send me a track anyway and I'll see what I can come up with- I tend to favour a rock/metal sound- all that distortion hides my mistakes :lol: I'll probably register over at the music,org anyway-

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby monks » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:12 pm

The issue with new albums is a permissions problem. I'll let DT know how to handle it in PM.

Hi Oshyan, didn't see your post there. Ah, Ok. I thought it might be an issue with the length of the folder title being too long but the new Fantasy folder fits on the menu and that's the same.

I think for alphas and bump maps it would be best to upload any corresponding bumpmap/alpha/whatever into the same folder at the same time as the base/color image. For alpha/bump maps that don't necessarily correspond to any particular base image (rare?), we could make separate folders, or you could put them in Misc. Comments on what would be preferred are welcome.

-simply uploading them into the same folder seems like a simple solution. I 'm no sure if I would go to the lengths of uploading unrelated alphas- though I suppose they could be useful in a procedural setup where you didn't need a corresponding colour map.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Quick Update Guys,

OK the Fantasy Folder is Fixed (Java Fixed it) and I am going through the rest in a few to make sure all are working OK. Haha my Bad as I am trying to help people when I do not know the software yet myself. Been an interested problem I had, hahaha, but thank the Dark Gods Java is back helping me where I did not know where to go /smiles.... so he is a huge help.

For those that have not registered please do, as on the 14th Java and I are trying to make it the Grand Opening the day before TG2 comes Out. Gives them new textures for new software. Should be fun. So we intend to have most of the bugs/features all worked out. And the ones that are left should fall in as we go along.

Quick Off-Topic:

Wish I could be there to play a few bars- maybe sometime send me one of your tracks and I could do a guitar thang in VST or something. Very Happy I could send you the track and you could mix it??? I've only got a SoundBlaster at the mo (hehe). When I get my new comp next year I'm looking to put a decent sound card in this old one- come to think of it I have a Marian Marc4 in a drawer somewhere- I could just as easily use that but I don't like installing multiple scards on the same comp- things can get really messy lol- so I may have to wait 'til then. Send me a track anyway and I'll see what I can come up with- I tend to favour a rock/metal sound- all that distortion hides my mistakes Laughing I'll probably register over at the music,org anyway-

Please do brother, Register in Both places at http://indiemusicsociety.org
We would love to have you join up, things are getting going now. Also to hear a bit on our music in one place you can go to:
http://maylockandshon.indiemusicsociety.org/ and you can download 4 of our tunes we have written. We can work the rest out in the IMS forums. KK back to Topic /smiles

Getting back to the Height maps and bump maps I like Aaron's idea the best as we don't have to do anything hahahaha you guys do /winks.....I would just use naming conventions when you upload that will show them in order and people can grab the ones that they need. Not all will need the whole bunch and want just one part. But good to work on that issue I am sure more.

Also I may have a few Textures Monks that I would like you to use your tiling Tool on. I want to see what it does as opposed to the Bricks"n"tiles software. Also Mura's photoshop plugins for Tiling I will post as well, along with a cool website that has tons of free or shareware plugins. Just need the time to get it all done and everything else hahahaha.

OK, I guess that wasn't so quick after all?? hahahaha lolol, ok y'all I back to working.

DeathTwister:twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm

OK the Fantasy Folder is Fixed (Java Fixed it) and I am going through the rest in a few to make sure all are working OK. Haha my Bad as I am trying to help people when I do not know the software yet myself. Been an interested problem I had, hahaha, but thank the Dark Gods Java is back helping me where I did not know where to go /smiles.... so he is a huge help.

All hail the Dark Gods!! The Fantasy folder is working.

For those that have not registered please do, as on the 14th Java and I are trying to make it the Grand Opening the day before TG2 comes Out. Gives them new textures for new software. Should be fun. So we intend to have most of the bugs/features all worked out. And the ones that are left should fall in as we go along.

Hoo- looking forward to TG2. Just hope that I can get my head around the node approach.

Please do brother, Register in Both places at http://indiemusicsociety.org
We would love to have you join up, things are getting going now. Also to hear a bit on our music in one place you can go to:
http://maylockandshon.indiemusicsociety.org/ and you can download 4 of our tunes we have written. We can work the rest out in the IMS forums. KK back to Topic /smiles

Okeydokey. I have a couple of suggestions for the musicsoc- but I'll talk to you about it over there later.

Also I may have a few Textures Monks that I would like you to use your tiling Tool on.

Rightyeo- I did do a couple of the Klamath beach textures and a couple of Seer's stones. They're up in the galleries.

I want to see what it does as opposed to the Bricks"n"tiles software.

I don't think it would cope too well with doing bricks and tiles. It does have random and semi-ordered settings but you would need to do some prep on the image before using that, so you might as well use Bricks n tiles. I do have a lot of brick texs but I've not done any of those yet and will probably use Bnt for that anyway.
I could upload the raw images or send them along if you'd like to try a few yourself in b&t (bacon and tomato :lol:)? If you have any unorderd texs you'd like to me to try let me know.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 pm

Hay der,

Hahaah mostly good to everything /smiles and:
I don't think it would cope too well with doing bricks and tiles. It does have random and semi-ordered settings but you would need to do some prep on the image before using that, so you might as well use Bricks n tiles. I do have a lot of brick texs but I've not done any of those yet and will probably use Bnt for that anyway.
I could upload the raw images or send them along if you'd like to try a few yourself in b&t (bacon and tomato Laughing)? If you have any unorderd texs you'd like to me to try let me know.

KEWL, Kk we can talk more about that in the TS forums I guess, don't need to spam poor Aaron here with that ROTFL hahaha lolol, but sounds most goodly and yes I do have a couple I am curious to see what it does do to them. I'll post one or 2 in the TS forums, you can grab it off the page I think.

OOH the other Folders are all fixed now as well. Java got the first one Fantasy, and I got the rest of them. Have any more ideas for Folders let me know, and if there are any more bugs let us know. Think the next order of bizzyness is going to be the buttons in the forums, and the Gallery, as it is starting to be a real pain in the rump to navagate back and forth. Aaron was dead on with that one, I see that Aaron has a tool navagate bar at the top of his website here. and somewhere he gave us the link to do it I believe?, so going to grab that link again, and make sure Java sees it and in next couple of days we hope to work on the next few upgrades to the website before the 14th release. So twas a great idea you gave us brother, /gives Aaron a big hug.

Note to self: add that tool bar to all our websites when I learn how, and when I get time in the forums area. Soon soon.

DT:twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby jack.dingler » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:21 pm

Aaron asked, "Do you want the elevation map/bump data of a texture to be stored in the alpha layer? Note this would also restrict us to using 32-bit PNG images, as bitmap and JPEG don't have alpha layers."

32 bit Bitmaps do have alpha layers. Its just that Microsoft doesn't normally do anything with this layer.
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:11 am

jack.dingler wrote:32 bit Bitmaps do have alpha layers. Its just that Microsoft doesn't normally do anything with this layer.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I had forgotten about 32-bit bitmaps.

This has me wondering whether FreeImage supports alpha in bitmaps. Hmmm...must re-read the docs again...

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 am

Hi Monks,

monks wrote: well yes, it was originally used for that as I understand but it's used more generally now isn't it?

I'm not aware of any broadening of definition (other than perhaps '4th layer in an image'), and I certainly hope none occurs. When technical words lose their precision, they lose their usefulness.

monks wrote:That's an interesting idea. I was really talking about texture.org not L3DT.

Whether or not it could be done in L3DT (and it probably could), I was in fact referring to TS.

monks wrote:I could use L3DT for normals, etc couldn't I?

Yes indeedy.

monks wrote:Does L3DT do displacement maps?

In a general sense yes, as displacement maps are heightfields. In the sense of generating the displacement map for a specific texture; not really, unless you just greyscale the texture itself. That’s what I did to generate the bump-maps for the rock textures, and it works just the same for displacement mapping.

monks wrote://edit: just realised that a disp map is really no different from any other greyscale and it depends on the renderer supporting it.

[Ah, I see I should read the whole post before starting my reply.]

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 am

I'm not aware of any broadening of definition (other than perhaps '4th layer in an image'), and I certainly hope none occurs. When technical words lose their precision, they lose their usefulness.

yeah- i was thinking about that last night and came to the same conclusion. A mask is a transparency of some kind.

I could use L3DT for normals, etc couldn't I?

Yes indeedy.

It's just figuring out a workflow. I think it makes sense to wait for TG2 now for the final renderer.

monks

[/quote]
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Hay all, just a quick update,

OK I think we have gotten just about all the bugs worked out on TS now.

We intend to work on the forums and Gallery site links at the top of each of those pages like Aaron has on his site for for us /winks. Been thinking about it and should not be to big a deal.

On the 14th of December we are going live if all goes well and post the website on the TG and GG forums big time with a big press release, as well as other forums we know of. So get in now if you haven't and register in the forums and the gallery please so you don't get trampled in the rush, hahaha in case we do have a rush.

Also I have uploaded some very nice raw redwood Forest floor texures in the nature section, and I added a bunch of Redwood Textures of a Tree called Big tree in a place called Jedadiah Smith National state park in the wood section, on my way back from Eureka, CA. Monday I stopped by the park on my way home as I knew it had great textures to share with the world. Big Tree is 23 feet across, and I have no idea how tall, many hundreds of feet. And is about 5000+ years old or something like that.

So you really need to go check those textures out.
http://texturesource.org for those chalenged hahahaha.....

Well that is it for now, if you find any more bugs please report them soon before we go live. I think we got them all now, and working on just the interface this week to be able to get back and forth easier now ,like Aaron sugested.

KK TA Ta......Moving right along now.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Is the web site active?

Postby jack.dingler » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:58 pm

I've tried off and on to reach http://texturesource.org but the site never loads for me.
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby JavaJones » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:13 pm

Working well here (from your link). Does it time out or give any kind of error message? Can you reach http://www.me-dem.org/ ? Same server.

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby jack.dingler » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:17 pm

I get an error that my system cannot find the server.
jack.dingler
Contributing member

Postby JavaJones » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 am

Very strange. Could it be blocked by your ISP or firewall? Does me-dem.org work?

How about http://66.246.128.102/~texture ?

- Oshyan
JavaJones
Doyen

PreviousNext

Return to Useful resources