L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DT with Unreal 4.x.x

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

L3DT with Unreal 4.x.x

Postby Tarly » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:40 am

Hi,

It has been a couple years since I have had time to work on my hobby... and I have moved from GG's T3D to Unreal's 4.7.x engine. I was looking around and found a copy of my L3DT installer.... I bought back on 01/05/2011. And I was wondering... can I use it for maps in unreal 4.x.x

thank you for your time and great mapping tool..

Tarly
aka: Cliff
Tarly

Re: L3DT with Unreal 4.x.x

Postby Tarly » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:01 am

Aarron?

Any word on this ?
Tarly

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Tarly,

Welcome back. Unfortunately, I don't really know whether L3DT is compatible with Unreal 4. I can't recall anyone asking for changes to support Unreal 4, so perhaps it works OK (but perhaps not.)
I was kind of hoping someone in the community with Unreal experience could answer this one... (anyone, anyone?)

Cheerio,
Aaron
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Rofar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:04 pm

I have experience with both UE4 and L3DT but unfortunately, I don't have any experience with them used together. My responsibilities with UE4 do not include terrain generation so I haven't been in a position to look into this. I do know that the person on my team that is working with terrain has mentioned that she wishes she could use L3DT so that might be a clue that they aren't compatible. I can't personally vouch one way or the other though.
Rofar
Luminary

Postby Tarly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Well,

looks like I need to fire the dern thing up and see if I can get a small map into Unreal.. ;) Not sure what I am doing.. but.. hey...

:)

(eyeballs the pool, and wonders how deep it really is)

Tarly
Tarly

Postby demi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:04 pm

I have been inactive awhile with game engines. With UE going free I decided to look at it.

UE 4.7.6 works but is just a bit tough to do because lacks the configuration so you have to manually import each tile.
demi
Oracle

Postby demi » Fri May 01, 2015 2:17 am

I did some testing on this. It's Just awesome all I can say.

To get a full mosaic in a couple clicks was difficult to understand but you need to export overlapping tiles as the game engines configuration for terrain. Once you set the tiles size for example 505x505 for a 63x63 quad and 1 section this just ports it in. It took about 15 minutes to load a 16K map. UNGODDLY huge world!

Use r16 export.
use overlapping export for L3DT.
select tile size. 505(63x63 nodes) or 1017(127x127 nodes) with one section.

to import into UE:

Rename all files filename_x?y? to filename_x?_y? I used the pipe in command prompt to get the full list of 256 mosaics - dir > files.bat then opened it up in Notepad++. I used macros to make the bat functional.
the end result of the file has to be for every file in the mosaic:

ren filename_x0y0.r16 filename_x0_y0.r16

in UE
Make a (EMPTY) dummy level (the persistent level) then save it as dummy.umap or something so you know it has no data. Select world setting and check - enable world composition.

Save and exit UE and restart it. again enable composition if it got cleared and save your level again in MAPS that was created when you enabled world composition this now will function properly.

select - window -> levels
it will open the levels which should have persistent level only, Select the levels tab and import your tiled landscape.
If you want to offset the tiles in set the numbers so it is offset from origin by +/- x and y.
Open the directory and select ALL the files then click IMPORT

Enjoy.
Also. I use 1 meter resolution so there is no scale. You may have to adjust things and play with the output to get exactly what you want.
demi
Oracle

Postby Rofar » Fri May 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks for posting this demi. I'm sure this will help others that are using UE4.
Rofar
Luminary

Postby demi » Sat May 02, 2015 12:32 am

Aaron has made a plugin for Unreal.

see this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3175

Still haven't checked it out but it will make life MUCH easier n the file structure naming. :)
demi
Oracle

Postby demi » Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 am

I have put together a tutorial for L3DT terrain exporting and importing into UE4.

links:

Part 1- https://youtu.be/FUS4tBdpmCs

Part 2 - https://youtu.be/UVDxoz2Pkc8
demi
Oracle

Postby Tarly » Sat May 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Demi... you are a SAINT.. thank you. I have to drop Aaron a email about my L3DT.. after that.. I hope to be tootling around in my new UE 4 world... WOOT.

Thanks again,

Tarly
Tarly

Postby demi » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 am

I hope you find it useful.

I FINALLY got my license key to BW so I am going to go back to it since I have a lot of work done on it.
demi
Oracle

Postby Telarus » Fri May 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Excellent work. Thanks!
Telarus
Doyen

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:29 am

demi wrote:I have put together a tutorial for L3DT terrain exporting and importing into UE4.

links:

Part 1- https://youtu.be/FUS4tBdpmCs

Part 2 - https://youtu.be/UVDxoz2Pkc8

Demi mate, bless you man

This ole falla found some new ways to create an Island.

I don't know if you know of the world space in WOW called Moonglade (I know is not to relistic or natural)
BUT I always like that area, the feeling of peace and quite home of Elves a rich forested landscape glde in the middle
of a large mountain range and a village on the side of a lake built over waterways the flowed over waterfalls into the lake.

Dream times over now I want to recreate somit like that as an Island. seeing what you did shows me I can all but draw the island
the shape size I want and also draw the ranges where and how I wish, shape the lake to my wee hearts desire, only thing will be
a bit of a trick maybe (trial and lotts error maybe) the depth and size of the waterway which are like creeks/river channels the have
walk way bridges over them linking the village sections togeather. and UE 4 might be just the place to do it. was gonna use the
Skyrim engine but UE 4 would be heaps esyer asset wise, creating the Nif models is a pain and the BumpingPub is free to start
with. sorry guys wauffing on here, Demi's got my head a buzz.

Thanks a heap Demi mate Ka pai, you are a real gem man
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:23 am

Glad it was helpful. I don't get around here much as I should I guess.
demi
Oracle

Next

Return to General discussion