L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Import heightmap as mesh / points of cloud

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Import heightmap as mesh / points of cloud

Postby mzahor » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi,

is it possible to import mesh or point of cloud and then generate covering mesh from it.
I have few meshes that I have to combine togeother, then create mold with boolean operation - but ist difficult - many undercuts and so on.

The idea is to import these meshes and then generate above them "blanket" that I'll use for boolean operations later.
mzahor

Re: Import heightmap as mesh / points of cloud

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Mzahor,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the question. Unfortunately, we don't have a plugin that can import point clouds or meshes at this time. Generating heightmaps from point clouds or meshes are somewhat difficult problems, and it's unlikely I could develop anything for this in a reasonable time frame at the moment, I'm sorry to say. A bit of a peek around showed that programs like Blender can be used to convert meshes to heightmaps, but I'm not sure what the final bit depth would be or how easy or otherwise the process would be. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mzahor » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:26 pm

thank you for info - I've attached what I want to achieve - cover objects with mesh - like blanket
A had ( before august 2014 ) some kind of software for terrain generation and I was able to do with it what is attached as screenshot - I have some separate mesh objects ( text, flower, mountain, ... ) and somehow I was able to cover that with surface. I was able to set how dense this surface will be.

I think that it was your software - don't know why :-)
Attachments
Voila_Capture 2015-06-10_02-20-37_PM.jpg
Voila_Capture 2015-06-10_02-19-40_PM.jpg
mzahor

Postby mzahor » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:07 am

I've found that it was AccuTrans software ...
mzahor

Return to General discussion