L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

WIP

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

WIP

Postby MiToVo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello everyone,

So, just wanted to share my progress on my map so far. Spent the lion's share of yesterday working on it, and there's still a ton to be done to it... but i'ts coming along methinks!

Clicky Here!

A little more info about it... It's roughly 196 sq. kilometers (not including the surrounding water). Although I may extend that out a bit for the final build, just to give myself more room to work with, if I need it. The map started out as a traced outline, set at 10m, using a draped image of my map. From there, I began filling it in.

I'm getting in all the major landforms through L3DT, to make it easier, with more realistic results. It's pretty empowering being able to literally move mountains :p.

Things are very specific to a given area or region or environment, on a scale that wouldn't be practical in L3DT, I'll build out by hand. Most of this is going to be in the large open areas between mountain ranges, and within the mountain ranges themselves. I may do some of this with L3DTs heightmap editor, since it provides a lot of nice land sculpting tools that I haven't seen in other editors, and I can more readily see the results. At the least, I'll use it to smooth out some of the "jaggedness" along coastlines.. smooth out some areas to be more traversable, especially in the mountain areas, etc.

The colorful symbols represent Strongholds (orange), Outposts (yellow) and what will be towns (green). I also have to add in Villages and other stuff. Those markers are placeholders until I can get better looking ones.

There are some immediate changes/additions I want to make when looking at it, but the gist of it is in place.

It's been lots of fun to work with so far - even addictive - and I'm learning a lot of neat stuff along the way as I'm building it, mostly about how L3DT "thinks" under the hood.

So there ya go...

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
MiToVo

Re: WIP

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 am

Kia ora

This looks great, what engine are you planning on using or is it a world space for an current game
like Skyrim that your going to import and build
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 am

link seems to be broken.
demi
Oracle

Postby MiToVo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey folks. Yeah, sadly the file I'd linked was accidentally deleted by yours truly whilst doing a "cleaning run" of my dropbox folder. I forgot I had stuff linked from there (being in the public folder should have been a clue, but... well...).

That map would have been outdated by now, anyway. So, once I have a newer, better map to show, I'll be sure to share it here.
MiToVo

Return to General discussion