L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

saving mosaic maps not responding

Please report software faults here.

saving mosaic maps not responding

Postby michal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to L3DT, and would like to ask whether anyone encountered this problem.

I have a DM 512x512 tiles, with resulting HM 32768x62768. In the calculation, i have tried using various tile sizes, from 512 to 2048.

In all of them, after all DM->HM calculations, while saving mosaic maps, the application stops responding, with between 1.5 and 2 GB memory allocated and 0% CPU used. I have tried it on 2 pcs (desktop and laptop), both having win 7 64 bit, both having 8GB memory. In some cases, it stopped at around 0 - 1%, it some around 32%, in some around 70% of 'saving mosaic maps' phase.

if necessary i can add the log files, but don't know where/how.

Using L3dt pro 15.10.0.1, but the same happened with old stable build. I have tested it about a dozen times, with slightly different parameters, modified DM, admin privileges, but I have not been able to get a single successful calculation of the HM.

Michal

Basic params:
Width 32768
Height 32768
Horz scale 1m
Split map into mosaic 2048 (tested different sizes)
no edge wrapping
HF/DM 64
michal

Re: saving mosaic maps not responding

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:47 pm

2048 definitely going to give you problems because the program is 32 bit.

Maybe this will help.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2810
demi
Oracle

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Michal,

I apologise for this inconvenience, and thank you for the bug report.

Can you please send me the log file (to aaron@bundysoft.com, please)? You can get to it using the 'All programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT logs' shortcut in the Windows start menu. That link will open a directory in which you will find a file called 'log.txt'. With the logfile, I should be able to work out what is going wrong. Please collect the log file after the fault occurs in L3DT, and before re-opening the program, as the log file is overwritten at the start of each session.

I will try to reproduce this fault now.

Best regards,
Aaron
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi Michal,

Thank you for the log. It looks like a deadlock in the memory compactor, probably from trying to lock a CCriticalSection that's already locked. I'm running a huge test (still), and if I'm lucky enough to reproduce the fault on my system I should have no trouble in fixing it. If I'm less lucky and can't reproduce it, I should still be able to find and fix it, but it will take longer. I'll let you know when I've got something ready to test.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi Michal,

I apologise for the delay. I suspect I've found and fixed the fault. If not, I've also added more logging statements to help pinpont the problem. I'm running some tests now to make sure the changes I've made won't cause other problems. If it passes those tests, I'll upload the new dev build and post back here to let you know it's available.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi Michal,

Sorry for the delay. I think I have a fix for this problem. It's in L3DT Pro 15.11 build 3, which is on the Pro downloads page now (link in sales/receipt e-mail.) Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby michal » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks Aaron,

the maps have saved successfully.

M.
michal

Postby Aaron » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Huzzah!

Thanks again for the bug report. I'm much relieved to know that's fixed before the next release.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports