L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

June Image of the Month Competition

Announcements and chatter regarding the image of the month competition.

June Image of the Month Competition

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Hello All,

Forboding Angel, the winner of the May 2006 Image of the Month Competition, has nominated the theme for June:

Coastlines

Please refer to the IOTM competition page for more information on rules, how to enter, etc.

Best of luck!
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Coastlines.. In other words, water.. Muaha, this should be fun!
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby SeerBlue » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:34 pm

Aww, water gives me the fits, guess this is a good time to work on it then. SeerBlue
Check Out Me-DEM
SeerBlue
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:56 am

Heheh, I have the design of a really awesome coastline that I just never had the balls to try. No better time then now!

Maybe I should work with that wave shader I made a while back..;)

heheh
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby dEaThMaStEr » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:15 pm

Just curious. Are we able to make this any more indepth then a few pics? Like, I've been workin on a terrain. Had to restart twice. But all my work always comes out so much more complex then a few shots really capture. So for example, if I was to release a few pictures, but also pair a playable walk-through with it, would that maybe count at all?
dEaThMaStEr
Luminary

Postby Forboding Angel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:06 am

dEaThMaStEr wrote:Just curious. Are we able to make this any more indepth then a few pics? Like, I've been workin on a terrain. Had to restart twice. But all my work always comes out so much more complex then a few shots really capture. So for example, if I was to release a few pictures, but also pair a playable walk-through with it, would that maybe count at all?

heh, I can relate.
Forboding Angel
Luminary

Postby monks » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:57 am

Ah well- that doesn't suit what I'm working on- perhaps a bit of global warming could get me there.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:14 pm

Morning dudes,

Ok a few quick questains on the competition.
1. does coast line mean we can choose from themes like Ocean coastline, River coast lines, or at lake edge to show how the textures work? or for that matter could Lava be considered as a coast line as well? I don't have a problem with just a ocean coast line, but I was kinda confused on just what we could do within that frame work?

so would this competition be any Terrains meeting water surfaces? or just Ocean scenes? I can go into any of those areas, have something for each kind of coastline, but wanted to know what I should spend my time on. Thanks for all the art fun guys as well.

Aaron I have a quick question. I have never seen anything on Terresable maps that you have in the ground root folder. What are they used for? and how do we use them? I have never seen a post on them before and am very curious as to what they are used for.
The reason I ask is I am trying to figure out a way to bring in a texture that I can over lay the whole main textures that L3DT generates. Example would be to drop a layer over everything say using a Terrain texture made in Terragen. And then allow for transparencies to be able to blesh them in right? Just wondering what they actually do bro is all???? I am using Photo Shop ATM, but I think I could get better results if I could do it in-enegine? Did I get that out right? I have trouble sometimes explaining my ideas sometimes.

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:29 am

Hi DT,

DeathTwister wrote:1. does coast line mean we can choose from themes like Ocean coastline, River coast lines, or at lake edge to show how the textures work? or for that matter could Lava be considered as a coast line as well?

I would say that any and all coastlines are OK (including lava). Do whatever takes your fancy.

DeathTwister wrote:so would this competition be any Terrains meeting water surfaces? or just Ocean scenes?

Straight ocean scenes wouldn't fit the bill - a coastline needs some terrain too.

DeathTwister wrote:I have never seen anything on Terresable maps that you have in the ground root folder. What are they used for?

Nothing yet. They're just some ground/sand textures (with the name in French) that aren't used in the standard climates, but are provided for user-experimentation.

DeathTwister wrote:...and how do we use them?

I'm sorry I don't have a current tutorial on how to set the texture layers (I'm still re-writing it). Anyway, here is the brief run-down:
  1. Open the climate manager.
  2. Select a climate in the list and hit 'edit'.
  3. Select a land type in the list and hit 'edit' (opens the land type editor).
  4. Select the 3rd tab (Texture layers).
  5. Select a texture layer in the list and hit 'edit'.
  6. Set the 'Texture->File name' to whichever texture image you want (eg terresable057.jpg).

Note that most land types in the standard climates have three or four texture layers (improves high-res appearance), so you'll need to apply the same texture to each layer (unless you also want to add detail maps, bump-maps, etc). It's a little complex, which is why I haven't yet finished the tutorial.

DeathTwister wrote:The reason I ask is I am trying to figure out a way to bring in a texture that I can over lay the whole main textures that L3DT generates...I am using Photo Shop ATM, but I think I could get better results if I could do it in-enegine?

Doing this in L3DT will be devillishly hard, as you need to add your Terragen render as a new texture layer in every land type in the climate you are using. Photoshop will be the easier option, and the result will be the same (unless you want different land types to have different alpha-blending ratios, in which case you would need to use L3DT).

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:39 am

Hi dEaThMaStEr,

dEaThMaStEr wrote:Just curious. Are we able to make this any more indepth then a few pics? Like, I've been workin on a terrain. Had to restart twice. But all my work always comes out so much more complex then a few shots really capture. So for example, if I was to release a few pictures, but also pair a playable walk-through with it, would that maybe count at all?

I like the sound of this, but perhaps demos should have their own competition (or even just a showcase, with no judgements, themes or winners)? Adding demos to the image competition would probably be unfair to the Terragen users (et. al.) who can't provide demos.

So, should we set-up a demo competition? How many people would be willing to enter?

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:59 pm

HAy guys,

Aaron Wrote:
I like the sound of this, but perhaps demos should have their own competition (or even just a showcase, with no judgements, themes or winners)? Adding demos to the image competition would probably be unfair to the Terragen users (et. al.) who can't provide demos.

So, should we set-up a demo competition? How many people would be willing to enter?

Wow, I have been into animay a long time as I have loved my art moving since I got into Computers, from 2D painting. So making a fly-by in animation is a great idea. I'm sure most of us have Fraps and DiVX, so we can make a pretty good little animation that is desent quality and low file size. So count me in if you deside to add that to our competitions as well. I am not sure about vid game walk throughs, thats allot of work for myself anyway, and we are all on projects, but little animations would be sweet, maybe have 120 frames to 300 tops? That should be ok file size wise I think? anyway I'm game.

Thanks for the other answers as well Aaron, I am on the Stick with an idea or 2 :wink:

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

ATOMIX Productions Entries

Postby DeathTwister » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Hay guys,

I thought I would as well post and talk about my entries. I hope you guys are OK with that. But if so, err to late /chuckles.....

This first one is my main Entry. I made it with the TGE engine. Why? TGE you may ask? I know I did, err or would.
The reason is simple enough for now, I am very frustrated with the TSE engine at the moment because the atlas terrain engine that is in TSE is buggy as hell.
I try and run across a mesa and fall through the paging that the atlas engine does, as well as other issues which I won't go into now. So I have been double and triple deving here with a number of engines to see what one I can get up and running with as few bugs as possible as fast as possible for now while I work on the KEWL engines that have shaders in them to really make these terrains/water pop out and look photorealistic as possible for me.

Lake ATOMIX
I just exported out a .PNG file at 257X257 for a height field from L3DT. Real simple and it worked Bang done deal. How sweet is that? and the world is still huge. But since there is no paging in TGE , I doubt I will get to far, but still I am having fun so that is the most important thing I think ATM for me anyway. anyway for now it is running at about what 36FPS? I think it shows in screens.

First Entry:

As you can see the water sucks, even with my own textures on it, the default was real lame and for some reason had no seamless tiles at all in the pack, go figure. TSE has great water though and am .looking forward to entering stuff in TSE when I get my chit together in it. A side note is after I post this I am uploading a bunch of Dev shots I did in TGE to my Dev page in case anyone wants to see more TGE shots of the new "Le Galleria TGE style" on this site.

Entry 2:

Number 2 is of Lake ATOMIX, an Estuary from my Development working up to taking it all into TGE/TSE/Ogre or any other engine for that matter. God I wish I could get the textures the way I see them in both Terragen and L3DT here soon into TGE. As it is I had to use the textures in L3DT I had made to paint on the terrain in TGE, fun but not what I have in mind for an end product. But I can share as I go along and it all gets to where I envision it to be.

Entry 3:

The final entry is mainly just for fun. The Island is all about Pirates and the Spanish main with Gold Dabloons and so forth, And wenches that we can have our way with, get my drift?? yarr matey? Arrr....../raises an eyebrow at the thought..

Well that is it from me for this month, I loved seeing Bryce used for entries, I love that old program and still use it for so much, and for some reason it always keeps surprising me, why I'm not sure, but am happy to see people use it, I still do also. Maybe next month I'll enter one from Bryce as well. Thanks for all your time guys and get some more entries in dudes......... :wink:

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby monks » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Looking good there DT! Often the over-dramatic peaks don't work, but in these shots I think they do. I especailly like the last pic- you've got the greens and lighting just right.
-no walking the plank for you me matey yarrrr!! :lol:

Cheers,
monks
monks
Oracle

Postby JavaJones » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 am

Agree with Monks, that last one has a great feel to it. Excellent lighting.

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:06 pm

Hay all,

Thank you guys for the compliment. Coming from you 2 I take that as high praise. You two are awesome craftsmen so thankies very much. Cant wait to see what you 2 and the rest of you guys come up with, I'm betting it will be awesome as well. Everyone here are outrageous artists of one kind or another.

Wish I could get TSE looking as good, but I'll get there yet. Maybe by next month compititions, we see. Yawn, need more coffee this morning....Aarg

DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Next

Return to Image competition