L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

No importer for OBJ?

Correspondence concerning plugins and scripts; development, use, bugs and ideas.

No importer for OBJ?

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:55 am

Kia ora

I see we can export OBJ files but we can't import them sadly,.. Is this jus not going to happen, be nice to be able to us a mesh as a temple at times
or even use that temple to clone a part of the landscape
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Re: No importer for OBJ?

Postby Aaron » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Kiwi-Hawk,

Sorry, I don't have any immediate plans to implement a mesh->heightfield converter, but I will put it on the longer term to-do list. It's not impossible, but it is a bit tricky. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:15 am

Kia ora

Thank you,..

Would it be easyer for you to maybe do a tool the could use a mesh as a mould (In Saphire maybe) that one could run a tool over to have the
landscape conform it it allowing the landscape to shift and become the same shape as the mesh, clone the area, not sure I'm making this very clear
I'm thinking of the conform tool in 3D max under edit poly freeform tools
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Postby Telarus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:08 am

If you are familiar with Max or Maya you can use the same process used to generate or "bake" displacement maps to get a height-field file from an OBJ.

Autodesk 3DSMax Help: Displacement Maps

Youtube 3ds Max Displacement Tutorial

In your case, the "low poly object" would just be a simple plane with a texture unwrap applied so it has UVs, and the "high poly object" would be your terrain OBJ object. You would have to decide the resolution of the displacement texture map, and then calculate the pixel size yourself based on the scale of the original terrain OBJ. Then you could import it into L3DT with those scale-numbers.
Telarus
Doyen

Return to Plugins and scripts