L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

A tool I wonder if possible

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

A tool I wonder if possible

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Kia ora

I wonder if it's possible to adapt the set to tool so it could set to a gradient.

This came to mind when doing a tutorial for making a height map to export to TESAnnywn. After creating
the map in L3DT and getting it how you need it he needed to lower the outer cells to -117 which made a nasty
ridge _| which would have be better could it have been made _/ to smooth of in to the sea bottom or (for example)
lowering the sea bad round an Island where the angle could be set to blend into the island

eg:
Top level =
angle =
Bottom level =
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Re: A tool I wonder if possible

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi Kiwi-Hawk,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I've added this to the development plan.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Kia ora

The other thing I notice, When making roads, the bulldozer is quite harsh and great for roads but I found is a bit much for
track, bush paths type of thing. I been using the lower tool to try make a small grove then smooth it.Just build on the contours
, widen then, sooth then a little. I wonder if there's a way to make a path tool?

the idea in general:

set width
set depth
select pattern (This could have a drop down)
Maybe option like:

Patchy warn cobbles
cobbles
dirt track
Paving stones
Broken paving

They only need give a slit texture or roughness to indicate a path or track.

The way I see it working:
Once set for example:
width = 2
depth = 0.4
Dirt track

It would then follow the contours of the land making a slit pathway/track 0.4 deep 2 wide in the land with a bit of a texture to indicate a dirt track
if set
width 4
depth 1
Cobbles

It would flow over the land cutting a Roman style cobble / darkage road with the edging and bumps of an old road.

This as come about from my making an island for a darkage fantasy (Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind as thoughts) road thats been
neglected unused for an age, but a path no the less. the mind boggles at what a creative Dev could do with the idea
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Postby h4voc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:00 am

Kiwi-Hawk wrote:Kia ora

The other thing I notice, When making roads, the bulldozer is quite harsh and great for roads but I found is a bit much for
track, bush paths type of thing. I been using the lower tool to try make a small grove then smooth it.Just build on the contours
, widen then, sooth then a little. I wonder if there's a way to make a path tool?

the idea in general:

set width
set depth
select pattern (This could have a drop down)
Maybe option like:

Patchy warn cobbles
cobbles
dirt track
Paving stones
Broken paving

They only need give a slit texture or roughness to indicate a path or track.

The way I see it working:
Once set for example:
width = 2
depth = 0.4
Dirt track

It would then follow the contours of the land making a slit pathway/track 0.4 deep 2 wide in the land with a bit of a texture to indicate a dirt track
if set
width 4
depth 1
Cobbles

It would flow over the land cutting a Roman style cobble / darkage road with the edging and bumps of an old road.

This as come about from my making an island for a darkage fantasy (Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind as thoughts) road thats been
neglected unused for an age, but a path no the less. the mind boggles at what a creative Dev could do with the idea

This idea sounds very good and practical!
+1 !
h4voc

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 am

Kia ora

Is this still in under consideration or has the idea been flagged?
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Kiwi-Hawk,

Sorry again for my slow reply. Yes, this request is still on the dev plan (for after the next release), but I can't with any confidence when I'll be able to get to it. The development pace has been pretty slow lately due to other commitments. I apologies for the inconvenience if you're really hanging out for this feature.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Kiwi-Hawk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:14 am

Aaron wrote:Hi Kiwi-Hawk,

Sorry again for my slow reply. Yes, this request is still on the dev plan (for after the next release), but I can't with any confidence when I'll be able to get to it. The development pace has been pretty slow lately due to other commitments. I apologies for the inconvenience if you're really hanging out for this feature.

Best regards,
Aaron.

LOL no worries I might be coming up 67 but I still got a couple of years left rofl
Kiwi-Hawk
Contributing member

Return to General discussion