L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

New climate tutorial

One of the trickier subjects in L3DT

New climate tutorial

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Hello,

A long, long time ago I promised I'd write a tutorial on making climates. I've finished chapter one and chapter two, which between them explain how to get started and make a few land types. Chapters on more complex topics - such as perlin noise and salinity - will follow at a later date.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby mauronen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:56 pm

Great work Aaron!

Ahhh. Now i can read about L3DT offline :D
I hope that all others docs (User manual, Algorithms and other tutorials) will be availables in PDF soon.

Cheers.

Mauro.
mauronen
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Thanks Mauro,

I'm glad you like it.

mauronen wrote:I hope that all others docs (User manual, Algorithms and other tutorials) will be availables in PDF soon.

Well, that's two pages down, two hundred and something to go. Nearly there...

You may notice that the page links are shoddy (all go to the on-line guide), and some of the formatting is a bit wonky. I want to get all this sorted out before I start on a wholesale docs>PDF conversion, so it might be a little while yet. I'll keep experimenting.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby jydog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:16 pm

That is great. I know it is a lot more work when time is probably scarce, but we do realy appreciate it. I like to print and read during brief, unbusy periods at work.
---
Randy
junkyardog
jydog

Postby DeathTwister » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:57 pm

Hay there,

jydog wrote:
That is great. I know it is a lot more work when time is probably scarce, but we do really appreciate it. I like to print and read during brief, unbusy periods at work.

Oh ya, I agree, Good docs are getting harder and harder to find these days of stuff we buy. It can cut dev time in half if the docs are good. And this is a good example for GG to Liston to, there Docs are, "how did Aaron say?" OOh yes, a bit wonky to say the least ROTFL, God love them though.....
/smiles

DT :twisted:
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

climate tutorial

Postby Codger » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:41 am

It really would help if some mention of the requirements for jpeg's for custom textures was made in this tutorial. I've wrestled with 2 different versions of L3DT now, and have not found anything that worked yet, with or without an accompanying bump map.

Could you post the restrictions / requirements?
thx
Codger

Postby Aaron » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:06 am

Hi Codger,

I'm not aware of any unusual limitations or requirements. This will probably sound daft, but could you describe what it is that's not working? Are error messages appearing, for instance? Is the output funny colours? Also, could you send me the textures in question for testing? (aaron@bundysoft.com)

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Cool! I'll follow this one with interest :)

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Pez_man » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:12 am

Hey, this helps........
Pez_man
Luminary

Postby Pez_man » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:14 am

I noticed that it is only at chapter 2. Did you abandon the tutorial or is still in the works?

Thanks.
Pez_man
Luminary

Postby Pez_man » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:42 am

I don't seem to have the default grass texture you talk about in the tutorial....
Pez_man
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:29 am

Hi Pez_man,

I noticed that it is only at chapter 2. Did you abandon the tutorial or is still in the works?

It's still in the works. I've only just recently changed the climate system again, and I didn't want to waste time writing the tutorial until I'd finalised how it was going to look and work. I'll get back onto it at the next opportunity.

I don't seem to have the default grass texture you talk about in the tutorial....

Are you following the PDF version? If so, they're out of date, and in fact I've just removed them from the webserver. I recommend you follow the web version for now, as it seems to be up to date with the current version of L3DT.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Pez_man » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:28 am

Thanks, i was using the PDF vesion. Glad that it's still in the works.
Pez_man
Luminary

Return to Climates and materials