L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Development progress?

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Development progress?

Postby xbelanch » Wed May 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi everyone!

No offense but I'm worried about the current state of L3DT. The last topic from Aaron about that was four month ago (last blog post). Hey! is still under development? I truly hope that you keeping on, Aaron. I believe that, one post that confirms that, it could help to avoid bad thoughts of a short tem future of L3DT as a abandonware.

Best,

Xavier
xbelanch

Re: Development progress?

Postby Aaron » Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi Xavier,

No offence taken, and you are quite correct in that development has really slowed with L3DT. I've been meaning to make a post about this, but appropriately enough, have not yet found the time.

I wouldn't call L3DT abandonware just yet, as I'm still prepared to fix bugs, answer questions (sometimes slowly), and make (modest) changes requested by users. However, I have much less spare time and energy to devote to L3DT's development than I did in the past. I'm a parent now, and in a full-time career, so I can't pull the all-weekend and all-night programming sessions that I did back when I was a university student in the earlier days of L3DT. Added to that, I'm also involved in some other project areas (electronics, robotics, woodwork, etc.), which fits in better with my sporadic spare time than does development of L3DT.

As for the blog, that's a bit of a sad story (no updates since November 2016). At the moment, the blog software installation is a bit broken, so I can't actually post there. This followed a botched server migration, where the company I paid to do the migration completely ballsed it up and left the whole site down. It took me weeks to get the site working (and in particular, the forum), and at the time I wasn't able to get the blog back up working. It's definitely on my list of things to do, but upgrading the blog/wiki software is becoming less fun as the years go by.

Anyway, in conclusion, I'm still maintaining L3DT, it is not abandoned, but it is going very slowly. I have no plans to abandon L3DT, but should I ever do so (I guess eventually I must, as one does not live forever), I will be sure to give everyone lots of notice, and release the source code freely so that anyone else who wants to carry things forward can do so. I'm not planing on going anywhere just yet, though.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion