L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

I cant import a height field from Opentopography

Got a problem or need advice?

I cant import a height field from Opentopography

Postby LiamTaylor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Hello all,

I am having a problem that when I import a height field from Opentopography I can't get the sea to appear on my texture map even though the water is present on my water map. I don't know if I am importing it wrong. I start by importing the height field which is in a .png format. I then generate my water field from this layer but my sea doesn't auto fill as the auto flood option is greyed out. I then manually added the water using the water flood tool. Then I generated my design map which was missing the sea so I added this manually as well. then I generated all of the other maps in one go: attributes, terrain normals, lightmap and texturemap. These all seem to work but when I see my final texture the water is gone. I am new to l3dt so I am sure I am just being stupid. I am trying to make a island map for a game so I do really need the water if anyone has any ideas please let me know I am happy to answer any questions.

Below I have attached my: heightfield, water-map and texture-map for reference:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... q7nRjb9lGx
LiamTaylor

Re: I cant import a height field from Opentopography

Postby Spookygnu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 am

What I always did before putting my map in l3dt from opentopograhpy was turn it grey scale using microdem.

Whether there is another way to go straight from opentopograhpy is news to me. But I've done it using microdem a hundred times.

I've done a tutorial on a forum using ten steps from opentopograhpy to l3dt.

Try this:
A
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVky ... p=drivesdk
Spookygnu

Postby LiamTaylor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:19 am

Spookygnu wrote:What I always did before putting my map in l3dt from opentopograhpy was turn it grey scale using microdem.

Whether there is another way to go straight from opentopograhpy is news to me. But I've done it using microdem a hundred times.

I've done a tutorial on a forum using ten steps from opentopograhpy to l3dt.

Try this:
A
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVky ... p=drivesdk

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did already put the image through microdem. everything else seems to work in l3dt it is just that the water wont appear on the texture map. Also I used the tutorial that you linked when I was importing the height-field. I don't think that it is a problem with my height-field but instead it is a problem with what I am doing with it in l3dt.
LiamTaylor

Postby Spookygnu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm

What height is your water level at?

When you import your heightfield in the software it should show a red line outlining the water level. If you don't have a redline your heightfield is too high above the water level to show any signs of water.
Spookygnu

Postby LiamTaylor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Okay I have just re-imported it and I don't get a red line only a green one. I don't know how to lower it as the island is in the middle of a sea and the sea is black on the height-field where as the island is brighter.
LiamTaylor

Postby LiamTaylor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 pm

I have just edited my height-field in 3d and lowered part of it and I can see the water how would I lower the whole height-field.
LiamTaylor

Postby LiamTaylor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks for all of your help I managed to lower the design map and then generate a water map. now I have water on my texture map so my problem has been solved.
LiamTaylor

Return to Help and support