L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Generating Procedural Craters

Got a problem or need advice?

Generating Procedural Craters

Postby PatTheBaker16 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello Everyone,
I'm hoping that someone would be able to give me some advice on a problem I'm having - that of making craters...lots of craters...lots and lots and lots of craters.
I am currently working on a large scale lunar terrain (~40x40km) that needs to have craters that are roughly human scale. For the large features of the terrain I have created a landscape in blender and managed to get it into l3dt, but unfortunately I have run into the problem that I am not able to create the thousands upon thousands of small craters that will really bring the terrain to life. While I can manually place craters, I've found it takes about 15-20 minutes per square km, and with 1600 square kilometers to complete it would be an undertaking I would not be able to complete in any realistic time frame.
My question to anyone willing to listen is this - Is there some way I could lay down large amounts of small craters quickly?
Thank you all in advance, any responses are greatly appreciated!
PatTheBaker16

Re: Generating Procedural Craters

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi PatTheBaker16,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. Unfortunatley, we don't currently have an easy way to automatically add craters to maps, which seems a bit of an oversight now that you mention it. Something could perhaps be adapted from the volcano overlay, but I'll have to do some more testing. I've added this to my to-do list, but it will probably have to wait until after the next release (early next year?)

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support