L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

OBJ Mesh Export Edge Band

Please report software faults here.

OBJ Mesh Export Edge Band

Postby SimonF » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 am

I'm getting a band at the top and right edges of an .obj mesh export. The same happens when I import the heightfield of an OS Terrain 50 tile as an .asc file or as a .png file. I've tried many different settings when importing it into 3DSMax.
Is this pilot error or a known issue?
Thanks,
SimonF
Attachments
L3DT_OS50-OBJ-Banding.jpg
Screenshot of the heightfield and mesh.
SimonF

Re: OBJ Mesh Export Edge Band

Postby SimonF » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 am

I've narrowed it down to a problem with the mesh decimator. The same heightfield exported as an OBJ without using the decimator doesn't show the issue.
The effect is more noticeable when there are fewer points in the heightfield. Reducing the maximum error to .0001 doesn't help.
SimonF
SimonF

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:21 am

Hi SimonF,

Sorry for my slow reply. Yep, this is definitely going to be the decimator, and how it handles heightfields that aren't a nice multiple of it's working block size. What size heightfield are you using (in pixels)?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby SimonF » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Aaron,
The posted example was 200px and another was 2001px. These are the sizes I get after importing OS .asc files (because of the number of columns and rows that the OS .asc files are written in).
Would it work if the heightfield was re-imported as a power of 2 sized .png? I think rescaling a .png only takes care of horizontal dimensions and the OBJ itself would then have to be scaled up by the same ratio after import into 3DSMax.
Regards,
SimonF
SimonF

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi SimonF,

Yes, resizing should fix it. If you use the 'Operations->Heightfield->Resize heightfield' menu option to set the heightfield size to 2048px, L3DT will also re-calculate the horizontal scale accordingly, so you shouldn't need to do any re-scaling when importing into 3DSMax. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the bug report. I'll post back here when I've fixed it.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports