L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Release date, licensing, price.

Important stuff.

Release date, licensing, price.

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:05 am

Hi Everyone,

The release date for v2.5 is the 15th of March. Coincidentally, that's the 2050th anniversary of Julius Caesar’s assassination. Make of that what you will.

As some of you may well be aware, L3DT Professional will be distributed by GarageGames in the near future (ideally the 15th of March too). As a consequence, the license conditions of L3DT Professional will become more 'garagegamesian' in flavour. From the 15th of March, there will be two licenses available for L3DT Professional:
  • Indie ($35 USD), and;
  • Commercial ($150 USD).
'Indie' applies to individuals or companies with annual gross incomes of less than $250k USD (i.e. almost everyone), and 'commercial' applies to individuals or companies with annual gross incomes equal to or greater than $250k USD. There is no other difference between these licenses, and just to be explicit, you can use the 'indie' L3DT Professional for commercial purposes.

To simplify the license structure, the multi-user license will no longer be offered. However, existing licenses are not affected by these changes, and will continue under their original conditions. Bulk discounts may be offered in the future if there's demand.

I appreciate that the price rise from the current $25 USD to the indie $35 USD is significant for students, game modders, newbie developers, and anyone else with a limited budget. To keep L3DT affordable, I'm considering a 50% discount on a new Indie license for anyone who enters the Image of the Month Competitions and secures at least 25% of the vote. If you win, it would be yours for free. It's an idea, anyway, and I'm open to suggestions/comments on the subject.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Last edited by Aaron on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Sage » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:11 am

So, is the GG version different at all? I mean will I need to buy another license to use the new exporter?
-Sage
Sage

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 am

Hi Sage,

No, you certainly won't have to buy a new license. Just how the exporter will be made available is to be determined shortly (writing e-mail now...), but you will have it at no additional cost.

Edit: Oh yeah, the L3DT executable, plugins and resources will be the same across the two versions, except for the activation module. At least initially, you won't be able to register one with the key of the other. Probably not a big issue, but I will have to be careful to make sure the right users get the right versions.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby dennis » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:21 am

Aaron, I think everyone will agree that you've created an outstanding program here and should be congratulated with its success. And of course with your alliance with Garage Games. Hopefully you will continue to be associated with L3DT since it appears (to me at least) that you are a big part of this success.
dennis
Luminary

Postby monks » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:07 am

Way to go Aaron! I'll echo what Dennis said- from where I'm stood, should be good for both GG and L3DT.

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby JavaJones » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:23 am

Congrats on this great partnership Aaron! Well-deserved succes, to be sure. :)

- Oshyan
Visit Outland - Off the beaten path...
JavaJones
Doyen

Return to Announcements