L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Birth of Legends

What are you up to?

Birth of Legends

Postby Hinklemister » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:34 pm

My project is pretty ambitious. I'm trying to make and MMORPG that has better graphics then WOW and better gameplay then any other MMORPG that I've played. Of course, this is a bit of a challenge but it has been very fun for me so far. My website, birthoflegends.com, shows some of the stuff I've been working, though I haven't done any real updates to the site in a while. If you want to find out some of the information about it that hasn't been coded yet you can look at my forum and see the other four guys that are helping me with designs and ideas. There all a few years older then me but the oldest is only eighteen so we're kind of a young group.

-Hinklemister
I'm 17 years old and make games!
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Re: Birth of Legends

Postby Aaron » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:31 am

Wow, that's a big goal, but you're certainly making good headway. Those screenshots look delicious, though I am a bit worried by the colour-inverted buxom wench.

Of course, this is a bit of a challenge but it has been very fun for me so far.

What is it they say? "It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end." It's a trite proverb, which doesn't hold true for my commute to work, but nonetheless I agree insofar that the experience gained and fun had in building and developing something is much more satisfying than actually finishing it. Whatever goal I had when I started L3DT has long since been forgotten; I’m just in it for the fun and experience now. Well, that, and maybe the possibility of making some cash from my hobby, but don’t tell anyone I said that. ;)

There all a few years older then me but the oldest is only eighteen so we're kind of a young group.

Whoa, man I feel old now. When I was in high-school, the best programs I could write were dreadful console apps using a crappy VGA GDI with 16 colours. I think I'm going to go and sit in a rocking chair, drape a crocheted rug over my knees and fall asleep. I might even dribble on myself.

Keep up the good work!
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby monks » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:47 pm

Cool project Hinklemister. :)

Thems wise words from Aaron. Grand projects are like life. Live each day as it comes and have fun. From my limited experience of coding I think it's like the breaking down of large code tasks into small manageble parts.

Good luck with it !

monks
monks
Oracle

Postby Hinklemister » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks you guys, and Aaron, don't dribble too much.
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:14 am

Zzzz....
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Nyth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:06 am

wow..lookin pretty good, i just have a couple of questions.

1)Are you guys coding your own engine?
2)Does it support normal mapping, dynamic lighting and all that other fun DX 9 stuff?

~Nyth
Nyth

Postby DeathTwister » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Hay Hinklemister,

WOW sweet , hay are you going to enter anything ion the Comp image of the Month? you better my brother, I am sure as in all good MMORPG's their are at least one zone that has a good volcanic land, please enter at least one shot from what you are working on brother, I know you can do it, how I know??? why but you are awesome dude, Interesting project and yes, I also agree with Aaron's wizzdom. I can't tell you how many projects have turned out quit different from where I started them, and all for the good believe me.

OOh what engine are you using? I think most here are using TSE/TGE Ogre and "Ir'lich (how ever you spell it)", so I am curious as to the engine you are using?

DeathTwister
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Postby Hinklemister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:20 pm

I've been meaning to submit something in the competition for months now but I keep putting it off because of recent problems I've had with terrains. Meaning, I can import the terrain into the engine, but I still haven't been able to import the textures, so it's kind of barren looking (I can paint the landscape myself but it's never as good as L3DT and it takes forever on big maps). The engine I'm using has a lot of custom stuff that I've put into it but is heavily based off the NeL engine, which is short for the Nevrax Library. It's what is used for the Saga of Ryzom, though I've done a lot of work to have better collision and such. I'll see what I can do for the competition.

-Hinklemister

p.s. My recent inactivity on the forums is due to a lack of time which I find myself having even though I'm a teen with summer vacation :roll: .
Hinklemister
Contributing member

Postby DeathTwister » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:32 pm

Hay Hink,

Oh you can do it, and bummer your summer vacation is so bizzzy. I know what you mean. Me 2.

Do you have terragen, bryce or an aother program you can play with for shits and giggles? maybe? They are alot of fun to doddle in sometimes, err all the time really when your bosses aren't looking ROTFL ROTFL :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:

DT
DeathTwister
Dearly missed

Return to Users' projects